Wondering where to take your family for Spring Break? Not to worry! We’ve put together a list of 8 fun spring break ideas for families, with destinations around the world. Whether you want warm beaches, or exciting outdoor adventures, there is a trip idea perfect for your family. The great thing about all these destinations are they have something to offer all year round. If you can’t wait until Spring to pack your bags, you can grab your kids and head out there anytime (well almost!) Spring Break is just around the corner, so let’s get you planning your next family adaventure.
We’ve kept these spring break ideas for families outside of the USA. If you are looking for more USA spring break destinations check out our post here.
Disclosure: Please note that this post contains affiliate links. If you click one of the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you! See full disclosure and disclaimer policy here.
bEST SPRING BREAK DESTINATIONS FOR FAMILIES
With so many great places to choose from when planning a family spring break trip it can be hard to narrow down the choices. The best place to go depends on what you are looking for in a vacation.
Do you want to spend time lounging on the beach reading and playing in the waves? Do you want to spend your days hiking? Do you like city vacations with lots of museums, art, & shopping, or are theme parks more your jam? Once you’ve narrowed down what you are looking for in your vacation, it will be easier to narrow down your choices.
Whether you are looking for a beach getaway, an outdoor adventure or cool mountain destination, there is something for everyone on the list.
One note, as COVID restrictions and travel recommendations change frequently, it’s a good idea to make sure you do your research before booking. Undestand the entrance and rentry to home country requirements, travel advisories for the country you are planning on visiting and limitations an any travel or health insurance you plan on buying.
Disclosure: Please note that this post contains affiliate links. If you click one of the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you! See full disclosure and disclaimer policy here.
The best family beach vacation spring break ideas
Beach vacations are a rite of passage for many families. It’s the time to pack up and head down south, or somewhere tropical, where you can relax on the beach and not worry about work or school. Some of the best family beach vacation spring break ideas outside the USA include warm destinations like the Bahamas, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic.
- Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- The Bahamas
- Cuba – Varadero & Havana
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
This popular Caribbean destination offers something for everyone and is a perfect choice to add to your list of family spring break ideas. Beautiful white sandy beaches, crystal clear waters and a variety of activities are possible such as horseback riding, snorkeling, visiting with squirrel monkeys, whale watching and so much more.
Punta Cana is the perfect place to escape the cold and enjoy a family vacation. Let’s get your dreaming started.
Kid friendly activities in Punta Cana
1) Ziplining – Punta Cana is home to the longest zipline in the Dominican Republic. If you are looking for activities outside the beach then ziplining with Runners Adventures is great family fun.
2) Visit Squirrel Monkeys – check off your family bucket list of seeing monkeys. You’ll get a chance to interact with & feed squirrel monkeys
3) Beach-side activities Playa Bavaro – If you’re looking for more relaxing beach time, head over to the Bavaro Beach ( Playa Bavaro). Plenty of room in the sparkling turquoise water and fine white sand beaches to explore. Young kids will love building sandcastles and dipping their toes in sand and ocean. Many different water sports are available for the older kids like parasailing, surfing, windsurfing, snorkeling, kayaking and more.
4) Indigenous Eyes Ecological Reserve – The Reserva Ecológica Ojos Indígenas is a stunning forest reserve. It’s 1500 acres feature 12 freshwater lagoons, a network of hiking trails, and a petting zoo. Enjoy a peaceful and easy hike through picturesque forest. The Ecological Park is an interpretive trail that tells the natural and cultural history of the island. Check out their iguana habitat, petting zoo, sugarcane exhibition and fruit tree garden.
5) Horseback riding: Another great option for those looking to explore is horseback riding. There are a number of different places where you can go, but we recommend heading over to the Rancho Los Sueños Equestrian Center which offers beautiful trails through the jungle.
6) Bavaro Adventure Park – Kids get bored on vacation (I wish I knew what bored was!?!) so sometimes you need extra activities in your back pocket. The park has zip lines, waterfall pool, climbing garden, playgrounds, paintball area and horseback riding, to name a few.
family friendly places to stay in Punta Cana
Iberostar Selection Bávaro – Upper Middle Range – best overall All Inclusive
Iberostar Selection Bávaro location is amazing, sitting on one of the Dominican Republic’s most beautiful beaches. This property is a tropical garden with 75 bungalow-style buildings. Friendly staff, luxurious rooms, spa treatments & a kids Star Camp from toddlers to teens, make it a top choice for families.
Paraíso Caño Hondo – Eco-Lodge
If you are looking for a more adventurous stay, surrounded by lush vegetation in the tropical hills, then the Paraíso Caño Hondo eco lodge is a great place to be. Surrounded by waterfalls you can hear from your room, and access to fresh water pools for swimming.
This ecolodge is located in the Los Haitises National Park, a place to experience mangroves, secluded islands, cloud forests, lush baysand abundant wildlife.
The Bahamas are a family friendly destination offering pristine beaches, crystal clear waters, warm weather & inspiring food. With plenty of options for activities such as swimming with dolphins, beach activities, kayaking and golfing. For a unique spring break idea try swimming with wild pigs.
While there are 16 gorgeous islands that make up the Bahamas, the most popular and easiest to get to travel destinations are Nassau, Paradise Island and Freeport, Grand Bahama Island. Wondering how much a trip costs to the Bahamas? Check out our article on how much a family vacation to the Bahamas will cost you.
No matter which island you choose, there are many fun things to do in the Bahamas, the whole family will enjoy:
1) Swim with Dolphins: You can swim up close and personal with these amazing creatures on your trip to the bahamas. Dolphin Cay on Paradise Island (Nassau) is one of those places.
2) Water Sports: Try your hand at snorkeling, surfing, kiteboarding, or scuba diving. Kayaking is also an excellent way to explore some of the islands’ best sites.
3) Lucayan National Park – Start off your adventure with some kayaking, off-road touring and even beaches on Grand Bahama’s Lucayan National Park. The park is well known for its underwater cave system, as well as being home to all 6 of Bahamas vegeation zones.
4) Aquaventure at Atlantis, Paradise Island, Nassau – This family-friendly 141-acre aquatic playground plus resort complex is located on Paradise Island in Nassau. Atlantis is an excellent way to cool down and beat the heat. This water park features a variety of rides / slides including an 11-story speed slide and a lazy river and so much more. Be sure to check out the Dig, an underwater sunken city teaming with colorful fish,
5) For a unique experience swim with wild pigs! Tours leave regularly from downtown Nassau.
6) Pirates of Nassau Museum, Nassau – Bahamas were home to some infamous pirates including Blackbeard. Transport yourself back to that swashbuckling time with interactive kids activities.
Family friendly accomodations in the Bahamas
Pelican Bay Hotel, Freeport – Budget Friendly
The Pelican Bay Hotel is a delight for families. Located only 300m from a white sand beach, it features 3 outdoor pools, lush gardens and a bar-restaurant overlooking Bell Channel Harbour. Families love this location as it is close to the Port Lucayan Market, Taino, Lucayo & Coral Beach and other island activities.
Atlantis, Paradise Island
Atlantis, Paradise Island really is one of the best places to travel with kids. There are actually six interconnected resorts located on the island. The Coral is a good budget friendly option.
The Reef tends to be most popular with families as it is quieter and away from the hustle and bustle of the main attractions area. It also has its own beach and pool and the resort’s only rooms with kitchens and dining spaces.
The the budget-friendly Comfort Suites Paradise Island is one of the “secret” atlantis hotels as it provides complimentary access to the the hotels attractions & restaurants,
There’s so much to do at Atlantis, you wouldn’t even need to leave the resort area if you didn’t want to. They have their Atlantis Kids Adventures (AKA) kids club for ages 3 to 12, an aquaventure waterpark, snorkeling, swimming with dolphins, theatre, swim lessons and so much more.
Cuba offers an interesting and vibrant culture that will fascinate your whole family. You’ll feel like you’ve stepped back in time with their cobblestone streets and classic cars. From exploring Havana, to visiting local cigar factories, and walking amongst pristine white sand beaches in Varadero, there is plenty to do in Cuba.
We spent over two weeks in Varadero and Havana a couple of years ago and loved it! Havana was definitely our favourite for food and culture.
With vibrant cities, historic castles and UNESCO World Heritage Sites including Old Havana, you’re sure to have the trip of a lifetime when traveling with family during spring break. Cuba is popular spring break destination that has warm weather year round.
Whether you prefer to lounge on the beach or explore Havana’s streets, music and art galleries, this Caribbean destination has plenty of activities perfect for your family spring break vacation.
While Havana may be more known for its nightlife and cigars, there is plenty to do in the city during the day with your family. From taking a walking tour to learn about all the historic sites and taste yummy food, to exploring art galleries and historic castles, there is something for everyone in this vibrant city.
You can check out our favourite things we did on our one day tour in Havana. We went with a super reasonably priced paid private day tour from Strawberry Tours and loved it. Plus our experiences and recommendations for kid friendly restaurants in Havana.
With its white sand beaches and crystal clear waters, Varadero is perfect for families looking to relax on their spring break vacation. In addition to swimming and sunbathing, there are plenty of other activities available in Varadero including snorkeling, kayaking and windsurfing. There are also plenty of non-beachy family friendly things to do as well.
Best family friendly Places to stay in Cuba
Casa Particulares – AirBnB
We can’t start our list without mentioning Casa Particulares (AirBnBs). If you want a more authentic experience, speak a little Spanish and save a lot of money then AirBnBs are the way to go.
We stayed in different one’s in Varadero, and Havana and loved the experience. Havana was our daughters favourite as they had a pool, which worked out well. They are most commonly booked ahead of time through AirBnB.
If you are looking for an all-inclusive resort with plenty of activities and a great beach, we recommend the Iberostar Varadero.
This hotel has everything from a kids club to a water park making it perfect for families with children of all ages. Plus, the buffet restaurant offers a wide variety of dishes to suit everyone in your family. You have a choice of several types of rooms that you can choose from, including suites, which are great for larger families, or those that want a little space.
La Rosa de Ortega, Havana
La Rosa de Ortega is a gorgeous 4 star BnB mansion, with family suites, and a pool, which is an essential kid friendly amenity, especially in hot city climates. Guests love their full breakfasts, friendly staff, large rooms and quiet neighbourhood.
You may also like our Family Beach Vacation Packing List Essentials
FAMILY SPRING BREAK OUTDOOR ADVENTURE IDEAS
If you are looking to get active on your spring break vacation, consider one of these outdoor adventure destinations. With activities such as hiking, biking, kayaking and snorkeling, these family-friendly destinations are perfect for spring break.
- Las Cataratas del Iguazú, Argentina
- Mactan Island, Phillipines
- Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
- Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Costa Rica
- Banff National Park, Canada
Las Cataratas del Iguazú, Argentina
Located on the border of Argentina and Brazil, in the middle of the Parana Jungle are Las Cataratas del Iguazú (Iguazu Falls), a must-see spring break destination for any family looking for an outdoor adventure. Together, they make up the largest waterfall system in the world. With views of 275 waterfalls from different vantage points, this UNESCO World Heritage Site is perfect for taking a stroll or hike along the many walkways.
Here are five family friendly things to see and do in Las Cataratas del Iguazú:
1) Board the Ecological Train for a journey through the jungle to the entrance of the three main walks; Lower Walk, Upper Walk and The Devil´s Throat.
2) Walk to Devil’s Throat to hear the roar, feel the mist, and experience this powerful waterfall firsthand. Iguazu Falls it is a giant horseshoe-shaped waterfall, one side on Argentina, on side on Brazil. Once you get off the train take the elevated bridge path that winds through 1,100 m of Iguazu Falls National Park wetland and rivers to up close overlooks.
3) Sail up close to the falls and feel their powerfull cascades before heading out on a 4×4 ride through the jungle on a Iguazú Falls and Jungle Explorer Tour. Keep your eyes out for colorful butterflies, Capuchin Monkeys, Red-Breasted Toucans, and Coatis and more flora and fauna. If you have kidlets under 12 you’ll want to check out the Iguazu Falls raft tour by Iguazu Jungle or the boat ride to Isla San Martin.
Kid-Friendly Places to Stay in Puerto Iguazú, Argentina
Puerto Iguazu, Argentina is the closest city to the falls so a lot of people make this side their home base. Whether you are looking for more of a jungle lodge exoerience or a hotel in the city, there are plenty of options to choose from.
Yvy Hotel de Selva, Argentina
Yvy Hotel de Selva is located in an ideal spot, the middle of Iryapú jungle, a natural reserve, in Puerto Iguazú. Guests love the swimming pool, comfortable rooms & cabins, the fantastic location, and friendly staff.
Hotel Carmen, Puerto Iguazu
Hotel Carmen is a popular family friendly hotel located right in Puerto Iguazú. Families love the pool, chill vibe and that the entrance to the Iguazui Falls is only a 15 minute drive away.
Mactan Island, Philippines
Macatan Island in the Philippines is one fun tropical destinations for a family spring break. Located off Cebu island, Mactan offers a great variety of outdoor activities such as snorkeling, scuba diving and para-sailing, in addition to historical sites. The perfect place to spend sunny spring break.
With crystal-clear waters and a variety of coral reefs, Mactan Island is a paradise for underwater explorers. Families can also enjoy hiking and biking through the lush jungle landscape.
Here are five family friendly things to see and do on the Mactan Island, Philippines
1) Water Sports: Being an island, there are plenty of opportunities to try parasailing, boat rides, water skiing, jet skiing, snorkeling, diving and more.
2) Try local dishes. Mactan Island is well-known for SuTuKil which are three different methods of cooking fresh seafood. Sugba (Grilled), Tuwa (Stewed), or Kilaw (Raw).
3) Go Island hopping on a boat tour or take a boat ride to the Olango Island Wildlife Sanctuary for a chance to see over 40 different migratory bird species.
4) Explore the historical sites on Mactan Island such as the Magellan Shrine, and Lapu-Lapu monument in Punta Engaño. The Lapu Lapu monument is in remembrance of the great Battle of Mactan, and a popular place to take photos.
5) Visit the San Vicente Marine Sanctuary, and their bamboo bridges jetting out from the jungle into the ocean. You can snorkel, swim, feed the fish, and even camp overnight.
Family Friendly Lodging Mactan Island, Philippines
The best places for families to stay in Mactan Island are resorts and hotels with kid friendly amenities like kiddie clubs and on site swimming pools. Here are some highly recommended places to consider:
JP Park Island Resort & Waterpark
JP Park Island Resort & Waterpark is a gem of a find for families. This 5-star resort and spa is a fun and lively place of stay with features that include suites, free breakfast, 3 onsite restaurants and a huge waterpark complex that parents rave about as the best beach facilities for kids on the island.
Shangri-La Mactan Resort and Spa
Shangri-La Mactan Resort and Spa is a world unto itself, offering luxurious beachfront accommodations and boasts one of the province’s best shorelines with a marine park that’s perfect for snorkeling. There are variety of family friendly activities including a Adventure Zone and activity center for kids, pools and a private beach.
Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
Fernando de Noronha a small archipelago of volcanos located about 350 km off the northeastern coast of Brazil, this tropical island is an outdoor adventure seeker’s paradise. Seventy percent of the island is protected as a marine park and they limit how many people can be on the island each day.
As one of the best places to hike and watch wildlife in South America, Fernando de Noronha has a little something for everyone; snorkeling with turtles, gorgeous beaches, diving and whales. Humpback whales show up in the area from July to November, so if you go in Spring, you will miss them.
Here are five family friendly things to see and do in Fernando de Noronha:
1) Visit Projeto Tamar – Conservation effort to protect the turtles. You can visit and learn all about there projects. A Family favourite, during the hatching season December to June, where you can even watch the newly hatched turtles scramble towards the ocean.
2) Beach combing walks along the shoreline – Praia do Sancho and Boldro are popular beaches for their white sand and sunsets. Others include Baia do Sancho, Cacimba do Padre and Conceicao Beach.
3) Visit the Shark Museum – This small museum highlights information about reef sharks, hammerheads, and whale sharks.
4) Explore tide pools at Atalaia Beach – The little pools of water are teeming with sea life and is a great opportunity to get up close with fish, starfish and other marine life.
5) See dolphins – The Bay of Dolphins, part of the National Marine Park can be reached by a fairly short walk along a cliff’s edge. Arrive early in the am to increase your chances of spotting them (6 am, I hear is best).
Family Friendly Lodgings in Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
The best places to stay in Fernando de Noronha are pousadas located near a beach with calm waters for swimming. Here are some great family friendly pousadas to consider:
Pousada Maravilha, a small boutique hotel located right on the beach, is a luxurious place to stay. Here you will enjoy tree house style suites, incredible views of the ocean, an outdoor pool and a variety of family friendly activities such as dolphin watching tours and nature walks.
This pousada is located on a beautiful stretch of beach with tranquil waters making it perfect for swimming.
Flamboyant Residence Guest House
Flamboyant Residence Guest House is modern, eco-friendly lodgings in Fernando de Noronha. Guests love the location, close to restaurants, shops and Conceiçao Beach, the comfortable accomodations, delicious breakfasts and friendly staff.
Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Costa Rica:
Costa Rica is home to a number of beautiful national parks, but Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve is one of the best for family spring break. With miles of well-maintained trails that wind through dense rainforest, this reserve offers a unique opportunity to walk amongst the clouds while enjoying a family adventure.
This nature reserve in Costa Rica is a great place for family spring break hikes and opportunities for birdwatching and spotting other wildlife. This area is also home to some of the best zip-lining in Costa Rica.
I loved my 3 week visit to Costa Rica a few years ago and am planning to take my family there in the near future. It’s such a family friendly country to visit! You’ll defintely want to plan as much time as you can get to explore other areas of Costa Rica, the coast, volcanos, and national parks.
Here are five family friendly things to see and do in Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, and nearby:
1) Hike through the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve. This trail is considered one of the best in Costa Rica with well-maintained trails that wind past waterfalls, rivers and dense jungle. Combine it with an adventure tour that includes a guided cloud forest tour, a visit to the butterfly & hummingbird gardens and ziplining, for a day to remember.
2) Visit the La Selva Biological Station: A research and conservation center located in the heart of the reserve, this is a great place for kids to learn about Costa Rican wildlife. They offer guided walks, as well as interactive exhibits on rainforest ecology.
3) Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve: Just outside of Monteverde, Santa Elena Cloud Forest Reserve is also a great place to hike and see wildlife such as toucans, coatis and squirrel monkeys.
4) Night Tour – visit the forest at night on a guided tour to learn about and see which creatures come out after dark. I took one in Corcovado National Park, and it was such a cool experience.
5) Sky Adventures Costa Rica: One of the most popular activities in Monteverde is zip-lining. The Sky Adventure Park offers 12 different lines varying from easy to difficult, with views of cloud forest and rushing rivers below you as you fly through the air at speeds up to 60 mph!
The best Kid-Friendly places to stay Monteverde, Costa Rica
Monteverde Lodge & Gardens
Monteverde Lodge is a popular place for families to stay and our top choice in Monteverde. This charming lodge is located in extensive gardens with a heated outdoor pool and indoor butterfly garden. The Lodge can help you arrange activities such as tours and hiking, horseback riding and bird watching. Guests love the nature views, easy access to nearby parks, comfortable rooms, friendly staff and food.
Finca Terra Viva
Your cabin oasis, a home away from home, the Finca Terra Viva is located in Santa Elena on an an eco farm, near all tourist attractions and natural reserves but not right in the tourist center. Stunning cabins, that make you feel like you are in a treehouse. Guests rave about their stays here.
Banff National Park, Canada
Banff National Park is one of the most popular destinations in North America for outdoor adventurers. Located in the Canadian Rockies, this was Canada’s first national park, established in 1885. This beautiful park offers plenty of activities for the whole family such as hiking, biking, skiing and snowboarding.
Canada’s first national park is a must-see for any family looking to enjoy the great outdoors on spring break. With towering peaks, pristine lakes and more than 1200 miles of hiking trails, Banff offers something for everyone in the family from experienced mountaineers to those just wanting to take a leisurely stroll.
Here are five family friendly things to see and do in Banff National Park:
1) Ride the Banff Gondola: The best way to enjoy this unique landscape is via a ride up Sulphur Mountain in the 8 person, Banff Gondola car. Once atop, you can take one of many trails down into town . Or walk along an elevated boardwalk that offers spectacular 180 degree views of surrounding mountains and lakes and Banff.
2) Take an easy hike along Johnston Canyon: This easy hike takes you along a canyon with rushing waterfalls and Iceberg Lake at the end. 2.7 kilometres to the falls (about 5km roundtrip). It’s the most popular hike in the park, so it can get quite busy.
3) Snow sports – Try your hand or is it feet at some skiiing, snowboarding or tubing downhill in the National Park at these resorts:
- Mt Norquay Ski Resort – Mt. Norquay has ski runs to suit every skill level and offers downhill skiing, snowboarding and tubing.They also have a kids’ club to keep the little ones busy while parents hit the slopes. Ski Camps are available for kids & teens. Smallest of the three resorts, it’s perfect for beginners.
- Sunshine Village – Is one of three ski resorts located in Banff National Park. There are 12 lifts including high speed gondolas and 2 magic carpets. You can downhill skii, snowboard or snowshoe, and learn to ski / snowboard.
- Lake Louise Ski Resort – Largest of the resorts, it offers similar amenties of the other two. Skiing, snowboarding and snowshoeiing as well as lessons are available.
5) Soak in the Banff Upper Hot Springs – open year round, this developed outdoor pool is filled with natural mineral enriched water.
These spring break ideas are just the tip of the iceberg, check out the national park page for more.
Best places to stay Near Banff National Park for families
Johnston Canyon Lodge & Bungalows
One of the best places to stay in Banff National Park is at the Johnston Canyon Lodge and Bungalows. This series of cozy cabins has over ~100 years of operation. Right in the heart of the park, with easy access to epic trails, views, Waterfalls, mountain outlooks and bird watching stations.
The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise
Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise is a luxury hotel with stunning views of Lake Louise. It offers world-class skiing and accommodations as well as an on site spa for guests to enjoy during their stay. Kids will love the on site skating rink.
The Rimrock Resort Hotel & Suites
Rimrock Resort Hotel is located only a 5 minute walk away from the Banff Gonadoal and the Upper Hot Springs. Mountain views from the hotel are spectacular and rooms are modern and spacious. Families will love the pool, on site restaurants, fitness centre and location.
Banff is the perfect place to enjoy all that nature has to offer with your family during spring break. With plenty of activities for everyone, beautiful scenery and comfortable accommodations, Banff should be at the top of your list for family vacation destinations.
Spring Break Ideas For Families
Now that you have some ideas for family-friendly outdoor adventures on spring break, it’s time to start planning your trip! Be sure to check out our list of the best places to stay in each destination for the perfect vacation. So pack your bags and get ready for an unforgettable spring break!
Other Spring Break destinations and family travel tips:
- Simple ways to build a family vacation fund
- 12 of the best travel backpacks for kids
- 7 Day Road Trip Itinerary Zion, Bryce and Grand Canyon
- Fun gift ideas for travel lovers
Packed for Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.ca.