Packed for Life contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using one of these links, we may receive compensation at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my Disclosure policy for more info.
Spring break is just around the corner, and it’s time to start planning your next family vacation. Our list of the top 15 best places to visit for spring break for families in 2023 will help you narrow down your search.
The best spring break destinations for families are different depending on what you are looking for. Whether you want warm beaches or exciting outdoor adventures, there is a destination perfect for your family.
Disclosure: Please note that this post contains affiliate links. If you click one of the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you! See full disclosure and disclaimer policy here.
BEST SPRING BREAK DESTINATIONS FOR FAMILIES, USA
There are many great places to choose from in the USA when planning a family spring break trip. Whether you are looking for a beach getaway, an outdoor adventure or cool mountain destinations, there is something for everyone on the list. We’ve broken it out into the
BEST FAMILY BEACH VACATION SPRING BREAK IDEAS
Let’s start off with family beach vacations. Most people are looking to escape the cold, and head somewhere warmer for spring break. There are a lot of options to choose from, but our top three picks for the best beachy places to visit for spring break for families include:
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- San Diego, California
- Hawaii – Oahu
1. Myrtle Beach – South Carolina
Myrtle Beach is popular year round and known as a prime location for golfing, kayaking and boating. During spring break, families flock to the area for its beautiful beaches and mild weather.
The family-friendly options in Myrtle Beach include an aquarium, mini golf courses and nature tours. Enjoy pristine sand dunes along with a variety of shops and restaurants right on the beach.
Myrtle beach is one of the best spring break ideas.
When traveling with children, there are so many awesome things to do.
Family friendly things to do in Myrtle Beach for Spring Break:
1) Family friendly attractions – Ripley’s Aquarium, Mini golf (pirate themed, glow in the dark), Broadway on the Beach (shopping, dining, go-karts, outdoor play areas and more). The Oceanfront Boardwalk (Amusement parks, arcades, restaurants & more)
2) Nature tours: Take a guided boat tour on the Waccamaw River, explore a pirate’s hidden treasure, Horseback riding on the beach, or take a guided tour through the maritime forest.
3) Outdoor Activities: Visit Myrtle Beach State Park (fishing, crabbing, kayaking, swimming, nature walks or the Cherry Grove Fishing Pier, off-shore fishing tours that cater to all ages if you’d like to get out on the ocean.
Don’t forget to pack all beach vacation essentials.
Recommended Family – Friendly places to stay in Myrtle Beach
- Budget Friendly Resort – The Breakers Resort Myrtle Beach, if you’re looking for an oceanfront resort with a variety of family friendly amenities. Access to the beach, close proximity to many other attractions, and the pirate ship, and new indoor waterpark, with a lazy river kids love.
- Favorite Family Friendly Beach Resort – The beachfront Coral Beach Resort & Suites is perfect for families. Kids love the water amenities which include a splash park with submarine, and indoor / outdoor pools. There’s also a bowling alley, rec area with arcades and pool, ice cream parlour and plenty of onsite dining options.
- North Beach Resort Home – North Beach Resort home is perfect if you need a little more space (sleeps up to 7), and don’t mind the 8 minute walk to the beach. Access to sand toys, baby pool, hot tubs, world-class spa, gym, restaurants, fire pits and more.
2. San Diego – California
Located in sunny California, San Diego is a fun family-friendly destination offering a variety of exciting activities for all ages. Explore the city’s biggest attractions including Belmont Park and SeaWorld.
Enjoy beaches with views of the famous Coronado Bridge or go for an exciting ride on one of their roller coasters!
Grab one of the best burgers in San Diego for an epic meal.
This coastal city is perfect for a family vacation with plenty of activities to keep everyone busy, from the San Diego Zoo and theme parks to whale watching and boating. That’s why San Diego tops our list of places to visit for spring break for families.
Top kid-friendly (and adult friendly) attractions in San Diego include:
1) Family Friendly Attractions – SeaWorld San Diego (rides, shows, exhibits, live educational presentations), Belmont Park (rides, carousel, boardwalk), San Diego Zoo (on of the best in the US), Legoland California
Belmont’s Park Ride & Play Pass is included with the Go San Diego Pass
2) Outdoor Activities – Beaches (bring or rent a wetsuit). Build sandcastles & take walks in Coronado Beach, Moonlight State Beach and Del Mar’s main beach (also close to the picnic perfect Powerhouse and Seagrove Parks).
3) Sea Lions & La Jolla Cove – If you are looking for sea lions, clear water and some of the best sunsets around, you can’t go wrong with La Jolla Cove. You’ll need to walk a few minutes south to the Children’s Pool to see them. This was one of our highlights during our visit.
PRO TIP: Check out the Go San Diego Pass if you are planning on seeing multiple attractions, it can save you time and money. The San Diego Zoo, Legoland, SeaWorld, and Belmont Park are all included in the Go San Diego Pass.
With beautiful weather year round, San Diego is a great destination any time of year for the entire family. The last time I was there was around Christmas time, and I loved it, even in winter. Can’t wait to go back.
Family Friendly Places to Stay in & near San Diego, California
When looking for the best places to stay in San Diego, California you’ll want to combine fun activities for kids, with relaxation for the adults. Our top 3 list tries to strike a balance between them in highly rated. well reviewed choices for families.
- Luxury – Fairmont Grand Del Mar is the top choice for luxurious accomodations. Includes a spa, supervised kids Explorers Club for kids 5 – 12 years). Book a treatment at their 5 star spa and you get 2 hours of the Explorers Club for free. Check out the 37 miles of trails to hike and bike close by in the Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve.
- Moderate – La Jolla Shores Hotel is perfect for a more relaxed family spring break vacation in a family owned hotel, that won’t break the bank. Learn to surf, stand up paddle board or explore the nearby La Jolla Underwater park by kayak. Eco-friendly hotel with onsite restaurants, a free shuttle to La Jolla area, and a smaller outdoor pool.
- Budget Friendly – Bahia Resort Hotel has been voted one of the best budget hotels in the US, and it’s easy to see why. A convenient Mission Bay location and easy access to beaches, water sports, comfortable rooms and the resort spa at the Catamaran next door. Only a 10 minute walk to Belmont Park and Mission Beach. Kids love the waveless beach, small playground, arcade and swimming pool.
All these hotels are located in close proximity to San Diego attractions which makes them great for families looking to explore the area.
You may also like our Big Sur Road Trip Itinerary and Tips
3. Hawaii – Oahu
Oh Hawaii, how you hold a piece of my heart.
The Hawaiian Islands offer a diverse range of activities for family spring break. You can enjoy beautiful beaches, go snorkeling or diving in the coral reefs, visit volcanoes and rainforests, and much more. Here we will focus on Oahu.
You can also check out why we think Oahu is the best Hawaiian island for family vacations.
Great family activities For a Hawaii family spring break vacation
1) The Polynesian Cultural Center – The Polynesian Cultural Centre offers families a chance to learn about the culture and history of Hawaii and other Pacific islands. It features recreations of traditional villages, performances by dancers and musicians, interactive demonstrations, buffet style meals with luau, night shows and more.
2) Tours – Day tour of the Cultural Centre, Pearl Harbour and Macadamia Nut Farm or experience the best 2 hour Whale Watching Tour.
3) Family friendly attractions – Visit Pearl Harbor, moving tribute to the historic battles between Japan and the United States during World War II. Hike Diamond Head a Classic family friendly hike up a volcanic crater. See lush Waimea Valley
4) Outdoor Activities – Snorkeling or Diving – Hawaii is home to some of the best diving and snorkeling in the world, with crystal clear waters and a wide variety of marine life. Hanuama Bay or the Lagoon at Ko Olina (for beginners), Aweoweo Beach Park (turtles), Hanuama and Kuilima (kid friendly).
PRO TIP: If you are planning to do multiple excursions to popular attractions like Diamond Head, Polynesian Cultural Centre, Pearl Harbour, Waimea Valley and more:
- Grab the Go City Oahu pass for a great deal on attraction tickets. Save Money on admission to multiple attractions with a 1, 3, 4, 5, or 7 day pass.
Now that we have your activities figure out, it is time to find a place to stay for the nights.
The best family friendly places to stay on Oahu, Hawaii
Oahu has many different popular areas to stay, from the central and busy Waikkiki Beach, to Ko Olina and the popular Aulani Disney Resort to the quieter north shore.
- Moderate – Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort is located on Honolulu’s famous Waikiki Beach. Walking up you get the feeling of a Hawaiian Village, but with waterslides, kids playground, and waterfalls. Enjoy 5 pools, a kids day camp called Camp Penguin, for kids 12 and up, nightly entertainment & luaus. Elvis Presley stayed here on the 14th floor when shooting Blue Hawaii in 1961.
- Disney Fun – Aulani Disney Resort is a perennial favourite with families because it is located right on a super kid friendly beach and of course Disney characters. Get in the Disney spirit, Aloha style. Character dining, a Disney cast, lots of entertainment for kids and a big emphasis of enjoyment for all guests. Kids club (tweens & kids), luaus, pools,
- Luxury – Turtle Bay Resort is located on 8 km of gorgeous beachfront on Oahu’s North Shore. Family friendly accomodations from traditional bungalows with kitchens, to hotel rooms and many delicious dining options. Close to the Polynesian Cultural Centre. Cool on-site activities; yoga classes, scuba lessons, surf school, 2 championship golf courses, pools and more.
BEST USA NATIONAL PARKS FOR FAMILY SPRING BREAK
When looking for an outdoor adventure to embark on during family spring break, look no further than America’s national parks. With 63 different parks to choose from, there is definitely a park perfect for your family. From exploring mountains in Colorado to hiking through the red rocks of Utah, there’s something for every taste and ability.
- Yosemite National Park
- Rocky Mountain National Park
- Zion National Park
4. Yosemite National Park – California
Yosemite is the perfect family destination with activities such as hiking, skiing and camping. You can explore Yosemite’s famous waterfalls on your hike or take a scenic drive to see the park’s beautiful landscapes.
In spring, Yosemite National Park is known for its spectacular wildflowers, best seen along Cook’s Meadow Loop in the Yosemite Valley, Wawona Meadow Loop in Wawona, and Wapama Falls in Hetch Hetchy.
Yosemite does get busy between April and November, so make sure you book ahead!
Family Friendly Things to do in Yosemite:
1) Falls – The Lower Yosemite Falls is an easy, short hike that is great for children and offers beautiful views of the falls which roar during spring.
2) Hiking – The Mist Trail hike is a bit more challenging ( moderate to strenous depending on how far you go), but offers stunning views of Vernal and Nevada Falls. Best for older kids or families used to a lot of hiking.
3) Wildflowers – Cook’s Meadow Loop– This is a popular destination in spring for the wildflowers. This family friendly hike is a 1 mile / 1.6km flat easy loop. You’ll also see stunning views of Yosemite Falls, Half Dome, Glacier Point, and Sentinel Rock.
👉 Check out these one or two day itinerary to Yosemite for all the pro tips, activities & everything you need to know!
Best family friendly places to stay in Yosemite
Yosemite National Park offers some historical stays in hotels right in the Valley, with breathtaking views of Half Dome, Yosemite Falls, and Glacier Point. While they are on the pricier side, the views and easy access to the park are worth it.
- Budget friendly – Sierra Meadows Cabins – Cute 1 room microcabins for “glamping” and larger 1 – 2 room cabins for families. Year round camping (Upper Pines Campground (tent & RV) and Camp Four (tenting only).
- In Park – Ahwahnee Hotel Yosemite has a prime location within Yosemite Valley with some of Yosemite’s best hiking trails at its doorstep. Delicious meals, spectacular views, great service. You definitely want to visit, even if you don’t stay here.
- Larger Families & Group Travellers – The Yosemite Valley Lodge offers rooms, suits and cabins. Guests love their location as it’s within walking distance to many sights, it’s great food options, the free bike rentals, the pool, and clean comfortable rooms. Views of Yosemite Falls.
5. Rocky Mountain National Park – Colorado
Rocky Mountain National Park is one of the USA’s most popular parks with visitors coming to enjoy its scenery, wildlife and hiking trails.
Travelers can take in the scenery from a scenic drive. Or hike to catch views of the park’s world-famous landscapes and abundant wildlife.
Rocky Mountain is a great park for family spring break with its diverse landscapes including forests, lakes, mountains and meadows. Wildlife is abundant in the park so keep your eyes peeled for elk, deer, moose and bighorn sheep.
There are plenty of hiking trails in the park, ranging from easy to difficult, so everyone in your family can find a hike perfect for them. Spring activities include camping, fishing and horseback riding.
Family friendly things to see and do in Rocky Mountain National Park
1) Hiking – Alberta Falls (popular family friendly hike is only 0.6 miles and offers great views of the Glacier Creek). Bear Lake (easy interpretive 0.6 mile loop). Sprague Lake Loop (0.5 mile loop has many benches and lookouts along the lake).
2) Fishing: Fishing is a popular past time in Rocky Mountain, with four species of trout brown, brook, rainbow, and cutthroat. Visit the NPS website to learn about the regulations and the best places to fish.
3) Take a guided tour & become a Junior Ranger: Rocky Mountain National Park offers ranger led tours for different age groups. from guided hikes ro night sky watching.
4) Junior Rangers – Kids becom Junior Rangers by completing age appropriate activities in the park and learning about the history, geology, wildlife, and fauna.
5) Scenic Drive – The Trail Ridge Road (open seasonally)You’ll need at least 2 hours, though the recomendation is half a day. This is the highest continuous paved road in North America, cresting at 12,183 feet above sea level, which offers spectacular views of the Rockies.
Best family friendly places to stay Rocky Mountain National Park
When visiting Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado your best bet for places to stay are Estes Park to the east, and Grand Lake to the west.
Both offer many options for resting your weary head at night and it’s a quick commute to the centre of the park. There is no in park lodging.
Estes Park offers a wider selection of good hotels, inns and B&B options, plus it is closer to the main attractions of the park. Grand Lake is more low-key, and quieter, so lodging prices are typically less.
- Cabins – Inn on Fall River is halfway between Estes Park and Rocky Mountain, and is a great choice for families. Families love the cabins, location, views, upper level lounge with fireplace, easy access to the park, and friendly service.
- Resort – The Rams Horn Village Resort, Este Park offers luxury family friendly cabins with fireplaces, porches, BBQs all amongst awe-inspiring mountain views, for reasonable prices. Families love the onsite hot tubs, views, wildlife sightings, spacious cabins, well stocked kitchens and easy access to the park.
- Budget Friendly Lodge – Gateway Inn mountain lodge in Grand Lake has specatcular views of the beautiful lake and mountains, terraces, is close to the park, and really affordable and comfortable accommodations. There is an onsite bar and restaurant, hot tub and sauna.
PRO TIP: When taking road trips with kids, especially toddlers and preschoolers, make sure to pack a variety of fun road trip activities to keep them happy in the car.
6. Zion National Park – Utah
Zion is another great destination for families with its many hiking trails and narrow sandstone canyons.
In spring, its temperate weather is perfect for hiking and looking out for spring wildflowers and roaring waterfalls.
Family friendly things to see and do in Zion National Park
1) Hike the Lower Emerald Pool – This easy hike is family friendly and offers beautiful views of Zion’s famous waterfalls. Kids will love walking through the mist as the trail goes under the falls. It’s an easy, paved 1.2mile / 1.9km roundtrip
2) Visit the Canyon Overlook Trailhead – The trail head is Canyon Overlook Trail is a rocky, uneven trail that ends at a wonderful viewpoint for Pine Creek and Lower Zion Canyon
3) Hike the Weeping Rock Trail – This easy hike is family friendly and offers hikers beautiful views of the park’s many waterfalls.
The best family friendly places to stay Zion National Park
Nearby Zion accommodations run from mountain lodges, hotels, homes to bed and breakfasts. The closest town to Zion Canyon is Springdale, and then St. George, which is about an hour away.
- Top Pick – The Cable Mountain Lodge is a gem, just minutes walk from the Zion Canyon entrance. Families love the pool and hot tub, suites with kitchens, free wifi and private beach. Restaurant and small grocery store and free parking onsite.
- Best In Park – Zion Lodge – In Park is the only lodging (besides camping) available in the park itself. While more rustic accommodations, it gives you access to the park, and stargaze worthy skies right from your front door.
- Budget & Pet friendly – The La Quinta Inn & Suites are a budget friendly, mid-range option that is pet friendly. Located in Springdale, this family friendly hotel is perfect for kids who love a good pool swim (let’s face it, kids & adults like the pool the best), free breakfast & Wifi.
- Mid-Range Springdale – Best Western Plus Zion Inn & Suites is a great choice for families that want to stay in Springdale, only minutes from the park entrance. Families love the pool, hot tub, free breakfast, great views of the Watchmen mountain and easy access to the free shuttle to the park.
When in the USA Southwest, Antelope Canyon is also a not to miss bucket list destination.
We have a few more posts on Zion if you are looking for more pro tips, tricks, itineraries and activities to do:
BEST WARM USA DESTINATIONS FOR FAMILY SPRING BREAK VACATIONS
Many factors come into play when deciding if a destination is right for your family spring break.
Some people might want to stay at a hotel with an outdoor pool and hot tub. Some may want a beachfront adventure.
It all depends on what you’re looking for and how much money you can afford to spend on your vacation.
Here are a few of our favorite warm USA destinations:
- Disney World, Orlando Florida
- Jekyll Island, Georgia
- Phoenix, Arizona
7. Orlando, Florida & Disney World
It is hard to imagine a warm family spring break destination list without mentioning Orlando, Florida and Disney World!
Disney World is a classic family vacation destination that is a must-visit for those looking for a fun-filled theme park spring break.
Over 50 million visitors a year can be wrong!
Four different theme parks Magic Kingdom, Epcot Center, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom.
As well as two water parks; Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon.
Orlando is the perfect place for a warm spring break family vacation.
But Orlando, Florida has so much more than just Disney…..I know it’s hard to believe.
Kid friendly activities in and around Orlando
1) Walt Disney World Resort – A trip to Florida with kids would not be complete without at least a day or two or three at Disney World. Popular family spring break destinations ( four theme parks, two water parks, 30 resort hotels)
2) Family Friendly Attractions – SeaWorld Orlando (for animal lovers), Universal Studios Florida (rides based on popular movies & TV; The Simpsons, Shrek, Despicable Me, and more). Kennedy Space Center (space entusiasts, activities, space shuttles, simulated space flights, astronaut training experiences). Legoland Florida – Legoland Florida is the largest Legoland in the WORLD!
PRO TIP: Grab the Go City Orlando pass for great deals on attraction tickets. Save up to 50% on the price of admission to multiple attractions with either their All-inclusive or Explorer Pass
Family friendly places to stay in Orlando / Disney World
If your focus for your Orlando trip is Disney World, then you’ll have to work out your itinerary. Plus figure out which park(s) you’ll spend the most time at, and how you will be getting around to the different parks.
With young kids / toddlers Animal Kingdom is a favourite.
It’s not possible to stay at a Disney resort close to all four theme parks. So you’ll have to choose the one or two parks you are most likely to spend more time at.
Disney breaks out their resorts into Deluxe, Moderate and Value Resorts with different levels of Disney experiences, themes, amenities, and price points.
Luxury resorts with full choice of amazing amenities, close and easy transportation to the parks, themes are on point, and a high price tag.
- Disney’s Beach Club Resort – Top resort for families. Short walk to Epcot, Disney Boardwalk and Hollywood Studios, and it’s close to the Skyliner Station. Bright, airy rooms with balconies, and plenty of beach theme fun including the incredible 3 acre water park Stormalong Bay. Lazy river (hello kid fav!), whirlpool area, waterfalls and 2 slides in a shipwreck. Character dining.
- Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort – Along the Magic Kingdom monorail line, or take the boat. Polynesian theme, & activities like Lava pool parties and movies under the stars. Watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the beach. Ohana restaurant, character dining. Large rooms & over water bunglalows.
Less expensive than the Deluxe resorts but offer more amenities including transportation options and comforts than the Value resorts.
You can still experience the Disney magic, but don’t have to break the bank to do so.
- Disney’s Port Orleans – French Quarter comes highly recommended as a family friendly moderate resort. Experience the Cajun & Creole influences and eat beignets (the only place in Disney you can do so!) Rooms sleep 2 to 4 and they offer garden, river or pool views. Check out the waterslide at Mardi Gras pool or their hot tubs. Ferry to Disney Springs for food & shopping.
They are slimmed down immersive experience, with more in your face Disney decor, but they are the least expensive option if you still want to stay onsite.
Perfect if your room is somewhere you just want to lay your head at night, and don’t mind extra travel time to get around the parks.
- Disney’s Art of Animation Resort – Rooms are Little Mermaid, Lion King, Cars and Finding Nemo inspired ( fun for little kids and nostalgic for the adults). Their family suites can sleep up to 6 people. Amenities include 3 dining options, and the largest pool in a value resort (Big Blue Pool).
8. Jekyll Island, Georgia
This small island off the coast of Georgia is a hidden gem and perfect for a quiet family spring break.
With miles of pristine beaches, lush forests and plenty of activities such as kayaking, fishing, horseback riding, biking.
Jekyll Island offers a quiet getaway from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
Jekyll Island is located midway between Savannah, Georgia, and Jacksonville, Florida. It once was a retreat for wealthy Georgians, but was bought by the state in the 50’s.
Fun Kids activities on Jekyll Island
1) Family-friendly Attractions – Georgia Sea Turtle Center ( up close and personal look at these gentle giants, interactive exhibits). Historic downtown (charming shops, restaurants, ice cream).
2) Tours – Dolphin tours (Delight in seeing dolphins, learn a little bit about the history of the area, check out the coastal waterway, salt marshes and wilderness beaches, and maybe even see a sea turtle, manatee, osprey or othe coastal birds). Horseback riding on Driftwood Beach.
Family friendly accomodations on Jekyll island, Georgia
All that fun will be exhausting, so you’ll want to be sure to find somewhere comfortable to rest at night.
Jekyll Island has many types of lodgings including beachfront accommodations, historic properties, campgrounds and more.
We’ve put together 3 highly recommended options for all budgets:
- Luxury – Jekyll Island Club Resort is an historic luxury escape. Croquet on the front lawn. Kids can dip in the pool while the adults enjoy lounger chairs and eating snacks from the pool bar and grill. Children’s splash pad & water park, family history tours, & s’mores roasting. Plus the Sea Turtle Center is located just behind the resort.
- Mid-Range – Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island is a family-friendly ocean front hotel that offers rooms and 2-rooms spacious suites, most with ocean views. Famillies will love the outdoor pool and hot tub, fire pits, exercise room, and onsite restaurants.
- Budget – Friendly – Hampton Inn & Suites is located in the heart of Jekyll Island and offers budget friendly family accommodations. Guests love the boardwalk to the pool and beach, complimentary daily breakfast, and comfy rooms. If you are hoping to rent a bike to tour the island, you are in luck as they have bike rentals onsite.
9. Phoenix, Arizona
A desert destination that is perfect for those looking to escape the cold weather.
Valley of the Sun makes for a perfect getaway for a sun-soaked family spring break vacation.
Phoenix has something for everyone from zoos, and amusement parks to botanical gardens, museums and tours. Plus it’s a great place to start, before heading out on a road trip to some of the best national parks in the area.
Not to miss kids activities in Phoenix
1) Family friendly attractions – Phoenix Zoo (home to over 3000 animals and 400 species of animals). Enchanted Island Amusement Park (rides for all ages). Children’s Museum (interactive activities, art studio, climbing wall). Desert Botanical Garden (5 nature trails, 50,000 desert plants)
2) Tours – Small group day tour to nearby Grand Canyon
3) Outdoor Activities -Visit Pueblo Grande Museum & Archaeological Park. This small walkable museum offers a glimpse into the lives of the Hohokam people. Kids can explore and learn about their culture and history through interpretive trails, replica dwellings, agriculture, and arts.
4) National Parks near Phoenix, AZ include:
- Petrified Forest National Park – Located in northeastern Arizona and is home to one of the world’s largest collections of petrified wood. Visitors can enjoy hiking trails or take a guided tour through the park. See fossils, badlands, buttes and mesas, ancient petroglyphs, wildlife and wildflowers. 90 minutes from Phoenix.
- Saguaro National Park – This park is located in the Sonoran Desert of southern Arizona, near Tucson and home to its namesake, the largest cacti in the US. Saguaro National Park has two districts – East & West – that are separated by the City of Tucson. Enjoy scenic hikes or take part in ranger-led programs that teach about the area’s plants and animals. Two hours & 20 minutes from Phoenix.
- Grand Canyon National Park – The Grand Canyon is located in northern Arizona and is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the United States. You can hike, raft and camp. Four hours from Phoenix. Or take a small group day tour to the Grand Canyon, and have everything handled for you.
Family friendly accomodations in Phoenix & Area
Phoenix and area have some of the best kid friendly resorts and places to stay around. Scottsdale is about 30 minutes from Phoenix.
- Luxury – Hyatt Regency Resort & Spa at Gainey Ranch (Scottsdale). This luxurious resort has a 2.5-acre water playground complete with a sand beach and 3-story, high speed waterslide, kids club, spa & swim-up bar for adults, and rock-climbing wall.
- Mid – Range – Great Wolf Lodge in Scottsdale caters to kids, so much so, they may not even want to leave. Try out their indoor water playground, dance parties, arts and crafts, MagiQuest scavenger hunt, mini golf, ropes course and so much more. Parents will love their spacious suites, hot tub, buffet breakfast and easy entertainment for the kids!
- Mid-High Range – Cool off in style at the Hilton Phoenix Resort and it’s four acre water park River Ranch. Many water slides, a lazy river, and water features to enjoy. They also offer suites which are great for families who want a little space.
- Budget Friendly – The Homewood Suites is a located near some of the top family-oriented Phoenix attractions, such as the Desert Botanical Garden and the zoo. Use their free shuttle service to take you to nearby attractions. Onsite there is a fitness centre & swimming pool, and pet friendly rooms. Lots of dining options, grocery stores and shopping nearby.
Phoenix is home to a variety of family friendly activities that will keep everyone entertained during your spring break vacation.
USA SPRING BREAK SKI DESTINATIONS
If you are looking for a cooler USA spring break destination, consider one of these ski resorts.
With family friendly slopes and activities such as snow tubing and sledding, these are perfect for a spring break getaway.
Plus slightly warmer weather, and well-established snowpack make these the best ski resorts to visit in spring.
- Park City, Utah
- Breckenridge, Colorado
- Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico
10. Park City, Utah
Park City, Utah is a popular ski resort town located in the Wasatch Mountains.
With slopes for all levels of skiers and snowboarders close by, as well as a number of dining and shopping options, Park City is perfect for a family ski vacation.
The Park City Mountain Resort is a laid back resort with more than 300 runs and 41 lifts, that give both skiers and snowboarders plenty of slopes to enjoy, including six terrain parks and two half-pipes.
There’s also Deer Valley & Canyon Resorts for more skiing & winter sports nearby, so you get 3 hills to try out. You can ski at the resorts usually from November to April.
family friendly activities in Park City, Utah
1) Family Friendly activities: Utah Olympic Park (try out a bobsled, luge and skeleton, take a guided tour)
3) Winter sports – Woodward Park City (tubing ), Three resort options (skiing, snowboarding, cross country)
Family friendly places to stay in Park City, Utah
- Ski Lodge (pet-friendly) – Waldorf Astoria Park City, is located just steps away from Park City Mountain Resort and offers one of the best family ski vacations in Utah. While not technically ski in/out this gorgeous lodging is located at the base of Canyons Village, just steps away from a dedicated gondola. Offers a destination spa, fine dining options, outdoor heated pool, & children’s programs.
- Park City Hotel – Marriott’s Summit Watch is a great family friendly choice for hotel in Park City. There are a lot of perks of staying there. The location is the best, right in downtown Park City, you can even walk right to ski lifts. Families love the indoor / outdoor pools, regular family activities and suites with kitchens.
👉 You may also like our top 12 family friendly USA winter destinations.
11. Breckenridge Ski Resort, Colorado
Breckenridge Ski Resort is located in the heart of the Rocky Mountains, about an hour from Denver.
With slopes for all levels of skiers and snowboarders as well as a number of dining options, this resort is perfect for family ski vacations.
Breckenridge is well known for its ski resorts, and year round alpine activities. With over 180 ski trails spanning 3,000 acres of terrain, there are a lot of opportunities for snowy fun.
Kids will love the Adventure Center, be sure to check out the video arcade and ice skating rink.
Non-skiing activities kids will love in Breckenridge
2) Mountain Top Children’s Museum – Hands on exploration through different exhibitions and discover Rocky Mountain Wildlife, arts & creation, wonder lab, and toddler friendly areas (Kidstruction Zone and tot zones).
3) Frisco Adventure Park Tubing Hill – This family friendly tubing hill with different lanes – some are mellower, others steeper with more rolling terrain. The hill is accessed by a surface lift.
Family Friendly Accomodations in Breckenridge, Colorado
- Luxury Mountain Oasis – The Gold Run Lodge is a pure mountain sanctuary on a one acre wooded lot! This 5 bedroom ski home is perfect for year round getaways and is located in the Highlands neighborhood in Breckenridge on the Breckenridge Golf Course and Gold Run Nordic Center It’s only a short drive to the ski slopes and downtown.
- Mid-Range Condo – This sweet 2 bedroom and 2 bath, two-level condo is in a prime family vacation location. Within walking distance to the Quicksilver ski lift, Breckenridge Ski School and the many shops, restaurants on Main Street. As well as the popular Arts District and Riverwalk.
UNUSUAL SPRING BREAK DESTINATIONS FOR FAMILIES
12. San Juan Islands, WA
San Juan Island are a set of quiet islands off the coast of northern Washington State.
- Orcas Island is the largest of the San Juan Islands, and quite possibly the most relaxing vacation spot you’ll ever visit.
- San Juan Island is the busiest, most populated and most popular, especially in the summer.
Grab what we liked to call growing up on the west coast your “mini cruise” aka ferry ride from Anacortes Washington to Friday Harbor.
Enjoy views of rolling hills, farmlands, forested countryside and quaint seaside villages.
Go for the Pacific Northwest Coastal scenery, artisan community, slow food, whale watching, and a chance to reconnect with your loved ones.
Family friendly things to do in Spring on San Juan Islands
- San Juan activities: Visit English Camo & America Camp Historical Parks, Lime Kiln Point State Park & Lighthouse, Cattle Point Lighthouse & hike, Friday Harbor (shops, restaurants, town feeling), beaches.
- Orcas Island Activities: Art galleries & Artisan co-op & Orcas Island Pottery Studio. Cute restaurants, & beaches, Moran State Park, summit Turtleback Mountain, Golf Course & mini-golf course.
- Tours: Take a Whale Watching Tour from Friday Harbor (San Juan Island)
- Outdoor Activities: Camping, boating, hiking, kayaking
Kid-Friendly accommodations on The San Juans:
- San Juan Island – Island Inn at 123 West (Great location, steps to harbor, one & two bedroom apartments) or Bird Rock Hotel (perfect location near downtown shops, restaurants, the ferry, spa bath & balconies).
- Orcas Island – Rosario’s Resort & Spa ( oceanfront historic resort, onsite restaurant & mini-market) or Otter’s Pond B&B located on a nature preserve (eco-friendly, breakfast included, hot tub, gardens, close to Moran State Park)
13. Tanque Verde Guest Ranch, Tuscon, Arizona
Tanque Verde Ranch in Tuscon, AZ is an old-time cattle and guest ranch on 60,000 acres of stunning desert landscape.
A fun stay for an all-inclusive family vacation.
Given the # 1 Top Resort in the Southwest in Conde Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards in 2021, and a top pick from Travel & Leisure Magazine.
They offer everything from horseback riding & horse related activities, to mountain biking and fishing.
Enjoy spa days, and kids events and much more.
This really is the full experience, for when you want everything taken care of for you.
They even have a year round kids day camp. So the adults can treat themselves too!
Family Friendly Activites on Tanque Verde & nearby
- On the Ranch – Kids Camp (7-12 yrs), Kids Progam (4-12yrs aged based groups), horse activities, spa, yoga, biking, hiking, fishing, jeep tours, arts & crafts, swimming, archery, fitness center, rentals & more.
- Outdoor Activities Nearby – Saguaro National Park and Coronado National Forest, Tuscon (downhill skiing, golfing, cave exploring, mountain climbing)
Where to stay: Tanque Verde Ranch
- Tanque Verede Ranch – offers indoor / outdoor heated pools, hot tubs, activity access, supervised kids clubs,
- Rooms, suites available for 1-6 people
- Onsite restaurant focuses on southwestern cuisine, including BBQ and Mexican specialties. Onsite bar and lounge serves cocktails.
14. Fort Worth, Texas
Fort Worth, Texas is known for it’s stockyards, rodeos & BBQ, and has a vibrant cultural scene.
Visit the Fort Worth Stock Yards for your quintessential Western Experience. Every Friday and Saturday there’s a rodeo at the Cowtown Coliseum. Or experience the cow-herd twice-a-day cattle drive.
Dallas is only 30 miles away, so you can take a day trip there as well.
Family Friendly Activites in Fort Worth Texas
- Family Friendly Activities – Catch a ballgame at Globe life Park, visit the Cowboys Stadium, Fort Worth Stockyards & Rodeos, Fort Worth Botanical Gardens, Fort Worth Zoo, Sundance Square (food, shopping)
- Museums & Culture – Modern Art Museum, Kimbell Art Museum, Museum of Science & History, National Cowgirl Museum & Hall of Fame, Fort Worth Opera and Casa Manana
- Outdoors Activities – Walk, bike the Trinity Trail (70 miles following the Trinity River), Burger’s Lake, Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge, Acton Nature Center
Where to Stay in Fort Worth Texas with Kids
- Mid-Range – Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Worth, Dowtown – Prime location downtown, Pool, included breakfast, gated parking.
- Stockyards – Courtyard by Marriott Fort Worth Historic Stockyards – Fitness centre, private parking, a shared lounge, terrace. With free bikes, swimming pool, and included breakfast.
15. Washington, DC
Washington, DC is full of great kid friendly activities from monuments, history and attractions.
Spring is also prime time for cherry blossoms which peak around the last week in March, to mid -April.
More than 3,000 cherry blossom trees are planted around DC. Take in the Cherry Blossom Festival which runs approx March 20-April 16th each year.
Family Friendly Activites in Washington, DC
- Family Friendly Activities – Cherry Blossom Festival, Kite Festival, Zoo, visit the monuments at night, Shop & eat in Blagden alley & Shaw neighborhood, Walk from National Mall, to Congress building, Washington Monument, & over to the Lincoln Memorial. Tour the White House. See Nationals Ball Game. International Spy Museum.
- Tours – DC Monuments & Capitol Hill by Electric Cart, or try a Smithsonian Museum private guided tour
- Outdoor Activities – Picnic at the US National Aboretum. Stroll Georgetown Waterfront Park & Georgetown. See cherry blossoms around the Tidal Basin. Rent bikes and take your own sunrise tour through the streets of D.C. down to the National Mall to watch the sun rise from Lincoln Memorial.
Where to Stay in Washington, DC
- Luxury – The Jefferson Hotel – History, luxury & modern amenities in a prime location. Spa facilities for guests, kids receive goody bags on arrival, babysitting services, 3 onsite resturants from casual to upscale fine dining, a bar. Pet friendly.
- Mid-Range – Capitol Hill Hotel – All suite hotel is classy & comfortable. Offers Capitol Kids Program (high chairs, pack n’ play, roll-away beds), included breakfast, kitchens or kitchenettes, fitness center, free bikes, private parking.
15 Best Spring Break Destinations For Families In USA (2023)
As you can see, there are many great options for family spring break vacations in the USA. Whether you are looking for a beach vacation, a ski resort or somewhere to explore nature, there is something for everyone here.
We hope that our list of the best spring break destinations for families. has helped you find the perfect places to visit. Spring break for families can be fun, relaxing and adventurous.
What are you waiting for? Start planning today!
Other family friendly travel tips and destinations: