Mount Desert Island is a special place. Best known for Acadia National Park, and the historic homes, boutique hotels, and stunning oceanfront views of Bar Harbor, Maine.
This popular New England vacation destination is packed with hotels, cottages, inns to accomodate the thousands of people who flock here in summer and fall.
We’ve handpicked the most popular and best places to stay in Bar Harbor Maine, so you can be assured they’re great options for you.
Bar Harbor accommodations can fill up for peak season dates early in the new year. So book as soon as possible!
⭐️ Don’t have time to read it all? Stay at our top pick Inn On Mount Desert, for its short, walkable distance to downtown, the water & 5 min drive to Acadia. Plus guests rave about the free breakfast & kids love the games room. It’s one of the top rated hotels in Bar Harbor for families and couples.
With over 40 years of travel experience across Canada, the USA & world wide, we know how important finding a safe, comfortable & fun place to stay is.
So here are our top 10 picks for highly regarded hotels, Inns, B&B’s and cottages in Bar Harbor we’re planning on staying in on our trip to Maine. That come highly recommended, where we would stay in as a family ourselves. One’s that are highly rated and get hundreds of amazing reviews.
Top 3 Picks: Best Bar Harbor Places to Stay
#1 TOP PICK
✔️ Free Breakfast & Snacks
✔️ Games Room
✔️ Walking distance to downtown & waterfront
BAR HARBOR INN
✔️ Pool, hot tubs, luxury spa
✔️ Free breakfast
✔️ Romantic B&B
✔️ Outstanding free breakfast
✔️ Walking distance
Best Hotel in Bar Harbor, Maine
Bar Harbor caters to it’s guest traveling from far and wide to visit Acadia National Park, its trails and beaches. With so many options it can be hard to know which to pick out of the many places to stay in Bar Harbor.
Not to worry, we’ve helped narrow down your choices with our top picks for a family vacation, romantic getaway, or a budget friendly adventure. Check out these Bar Harbor hotels below, for an amazing vacation.
🚙 Planning on renting a car? There are many areas of Acadia National Park that are much easier to reach with your own vehicle.
1. The Inn On Mount Desert – Charming Boutique Hotel, Bar Harbor, Maine
⭐️ RATING: 9.3 / 10 Stars | 📍 LOCATION: Near Village Green | 🏨 Book Inn on Mount Desert
Stay at this Inn on Mount Desert, as it combines all the best things of a clean modern boutique hotel, with the coastal decor and nautical feel of a charming Bar Harbour bed and breakfast.
The inn is conveniently located within walking distance to the waterfront (10 min), a 5 minute walk to the shops & restaurants in downtown Bar Harbor. As well as only a 1 mile (1.6km) from the park itself.
Lovely combo of a short walk to town, but just far enough away to not feel the hustle and bustle of the town center.
This place blew my socks off! I’m so glad I didn’t stay in a chain hotel. They allowed me to check in late and OMG the breakfast was 10/10 . Highly recommed.
Also just a hop, skip and jump away from the Village Green. Here you can grab the free Island Shuttle into Acadia if you don’t feel like driving, or finding parking during the busy season.
Kids will love playing pool in the games room or board games in the parlor.
A place you want to stay at again and again. Great location, clean room, comfortable bed and great breakfast.
What guests love about the Inn on Mount Desert and why you should book:
- Guests rave about the complimentary breakfast (+ allergy friendly choices)
- Beautiful gardens & porch to eat your breakfast on
- Walking distance to the harbor path, restaurants, downtown & close to Acadia
- Re-fuel with hot coffee and home made snacks in the lobby throughout the day
- Free parking & WIFI
Check out the list of more best places to stay in Bar Harbor below — all conveniently located right near downtown, the waterfront and Acadia National Park.
Acadia National Park, is well known for its trails and beaches, and is a wonderful place to visit.
BEST PLACES TO STAY IN BAR HARBOR
Bar Harbor Hotels, Inns, & Cottages
2. Bar Harbor Inn – Best Waterfront Hotel Bar Harbor
⭐️ RATING: 9.2 / 10 Stars | 📍 LOCATION: Oceanfront | 🏨 Book Bar Harbor Inn
Located on Mount Desert Island, the largest island off the coast of Maine, it’s one of the best places to stay in Bar Harbor. Due to it’s easy access and central location to the harbor, restaurants, shops & downtown. Plus only a 5 minute drive to Acadia.
This sprawling 8 acre oceanside property is a great place to enjoy beautiful views, two hot tubs, their on-site spa, and an infinity edge pool. A lovely setting for vacations with family, friends or as a couple.
This property is the nicest in Bar Harbor with the best location. It is our favorite place to stay on the Island. The infinity pool and two hot tubs are excellent. The outside terrace dining area is a landmark in downtown Bar Harbor. I can’t recommend this place enough.
Pick from three unique guest room buildings you can stay in, to enjoy the casual elegance of the Bar Harbor Inn. These include the Main Inn, the Newport Building or their Oceanfront Lodge.
Sitting harborside in downtown Bar Harbor you’ll also be a short walk to the pier for boat tours, and the Shore Path.
As well as within walking distance of Main Street & Cottage Streets for souvenirs, restaurants, ice cream, shopping and more.
Great stay for family trip. Amazing hotel with amazing staff. Would 10/10 recommend.
What people love about the Bar Harbor Inn & Spa, and why you should book:
- Location can’t be beat! Convenient access to Main Street (5 minutes), and a short drive to the park (10 minutes). Right on the water and shore path for beautiful sunset views.
- Generous free continental breakfast with a good number of selections
- Family friendly accommodations (some suites sleep 5+), playground, infinity pool, 2 hot tubs
- Two on-site restaurants, a lounge, and a luxury spa
- Free self or valet parking and WIFI
We recommend splurging on dinner or breakfast in the Reading Room (on our list of best breakfast spots in Bar Harbor), at least once.
3. The Primrose – Romantic B&B, Bar Harbor
⭐️ RATING: 9.3 / 10 Stars | 📍 LOCATION: Downtown | 🏨 Book The Primrose Inn
Looking for a romantic getaway or a quiet spot to spend the night?
When you book this recently renovated Primrose historic home turned Inn / B&B, you’ll find a peaceful atmosphere and the friendliest hosts and staff you could ask for. Like staying with friends.
Very peaceful. Great people and breakfast. Our room was very clean and comfortable. Great location within easy walking distance to downtown. Charming and excellent value!
Primrose Inn is known for its afternoon treats and coffee, and instagram worthy breakfasts, which are raved about by guests. As is the quiet and convenient location just a 10 minute walk to the town center.
A perfect location for a romantic weekend away.
What guests love about The Primrose Inn and why you should book:
- Friendly staff who take the time to make your stay special
- Free delicious home cooked breakfasts & plenty of home made afternoon treats that guests rave about. Accommodating for dietary restrictions.
- Some rooms have electric fireplaces and deck access
Lovely bed and breakfast with excellent food and location. The innkeepers are very helpful and attentive. The breakfast and afternoon tea/treats are absolutely delicious. The location is also superb. You can walk to all Bar Harbor has to offer. It’s an easy drive to the best hikes and views in Acadia National Park.
- Open seasonally April to early Fall
- 2 Bedroom suites sleep up to 3-4 people, rooms up to 2 people
4. Bar Harbor Grand Hotel – Ode to Historic Rodrick House Downtown
⭐️ RATING: 9.1 / 10 Stars | 📍 LOCATION: Downtown | 🏨 Book Bar Harbor Grand Hotel
Stay at this Bar Harbor Grand Hotel for its ideal downtown location close to all the action, but on a quiet street. Built in 2003 as a replica of the historic Rodrick House from 1885 it’s decor leans towards the more traditional.
Popular with both seniors and younger couples and families during the summer. Kids love the outdoor pool (open seasonally).
Everything was perfect!! Beautiful hotel. Very clean. Friendly staff and excellent location. Within walking distance to the waterfront. We would definitely stay here again.
The seating on the covered front porch is the perfect place to people watch with a coffee or tea that’s provided in the lobby throughout the day.
Located on a quiet, picturesque, tree lined street, it’s just a 5 minute walk to the Village Green, and less than a 10 minute walk to the waterfront.
The real selling point are the spacious rooms.
Would stay again! Quick access to the shore path, proximity to amazing public playground with view of Cadillac mountain, and the pool. Continental breakfast with wild Maine blueberries and crispy bacon plus comfy beds and nice size rooms.
What people love about the Bar Harbor Grand Hotel and why you should book:
- Good value for its quiet, location, an easy walk to town center.
- Surprisingly spacious & very comfortable rooms
- Delicious complimentary breakfast with flux of the items offered day to day.
- Great amenities; heated outdoor pool & hot tub, filtered water bottle station
- Plentiful free parking & Free WIFI
- No onsite bar or restaurant (but just minutes from all of Bar Harbors restaurants)
5. The Harborside Hotel & Spa – Bar Harbor Oceanfront Hotel
⭐️ RATING: 8.8 / 10 Stars | 📍 LOCATION: Oceanfront | 🏨 Book Harborside Hotel
When you are in the mood to pamper yourself, the Harborside Hotel, Spa & Marina is the place to stay. Lounge by the enormous oceanfront swimming pool, enjoy fabulous dining experiences onsite right on Frenchman Bay.
Select suites offer oceanfront jacuzzis, for a romantic getaway. Or to soothe sore hiking muscles after a busy day in Acadia.
Treat yourself to a hot stone massage, a mani-pedi or relax with a facial in their spa. Cozy up by the fireplace in the lobby or bar with a refreshing drink.
Loved the pool(s) and close proximity to everything. We are already talking about coming back. Rooms were very spacious.
They also cater to families, with their family suites, and of course kids love a pool! Perfect for a fun family vacation.
Located within walking distance of so many cute restaurants and shops in dowtown Bar Harbor and a 5 minute drive to Acadia National Park, you’ll be close to everything.
This is why it’s one of the most fabulous places to stay in Bar Harbor, Maine on the water.
What guests love about the Harborside Hotel, Marina and Spa and why you should book:
- Fantastic location on the water with stunning harbor views. Just steps away from Bar Harbor activities, restaurants etc.
- Great breakfast and lunch options at their onsite restaurants
- Many amenities: concierge service, business center, fitness center, fire and games in the lobby, seasonal pool & hot tub
- Pet friendly (2 dogs max up to 30lbs)
- Regular rooms & suites sleep up 4 to 6 people. Suites available to sleep up to 10.
- Breakfast not included. Full breakfast can be ordered onsite for a fee
- Resort fee of $30/night and $75/night for pets.
6. Atlantic Oceanside Hotel – Oceanfront Bar Harbor Oasis
⭐️ RATING: 8.8 / 10 Stars | 📍 LOCATION: Oceanfront | 🏨 Book Atlantic Oceanside Hotel
This Atlantic Oceanside Hotel is an oceanfront oasis on 12 acres, just one mile from Acadia National Park, and all the shops and restaurants of historic downtown.
It’s a fantastic spot for your Acadia vacation. Experience stunning ocean views and the waterfront access to Frenchman Bay, just steps away. A perfect place to reconnect with family, friends and your loved ones.
Atlantic Oceanside is our first choice when staying in Bar Harbor. The property sits directly on the ocean with wonderful views from every room. Quiet and close proximity to everything. Hotel staff are exceptionally friendly and service oriented. The food at breakfast and at the Bistro is excellent. All this plus a warm pool and hot tub completes a great vacation!
The morning breakfast bar will get you ready for your busy day, with delicious breakfast burritos, fresh fruit, and egg sandwiches.
Atlantic Oceanside Hotel makes breakfasts, and those early mornings at Cadillac Mountain easy. Just grab it to go!
The Portside and Oceanside buildings are very private with a motel style entrance so no need for an elevator. Different buildings have different price points, to help you find something to suit your budget and style of travel.
Loved the family suite. So much room for our family to spread out comfortably. The location was great. The ocean view was beautiful. My kids enjoyed the pool. Breakfast was good. Bistro serves a tasty dinner.
What people love about the Atlantic Oceanside Hotel, and why you should book:
- Epic oceanfront views from your balcony, and private beach, and picnic areas
- Everyone loves a good hot tub, plus 2 pools (indoor pool and heated outdoor pool)
- Daily nature cruises and boat tours leave from its private dock
- Onsite Bistro restaurant has yummy food & a kids menu (lobster mac n’ cheese, salmon dinners & blueberry specialty drinks are favorites)
- Free Parking and WIFI
- Family suites sleep up to 6
- Children aged 11 or younger stay for free in their parents’ room (limit two children per room)
7. Eden Village Motel & Cottages – Budget & Family Friendly Cottages
⭐️ RATING: 8 / 10 Stars | 📍 LOCATION: Acadia | 🏨 Book Eden Village Motel & Cottages
Staying in the Eden Village Motel & Cottages is a sweet option for families, friends or couples looking for a more affordable option.
Eden offers 10 simple and comfortable motel rooms, some of which have connecting units, as well as 11 cottages.
Located only minutes from Acadia and about 20 minutes north of downtown Bar Harbor, ME, it makes a wonderful quiet setting for your Acadia adventure.
Perfect weekend getaway with the family. The cottage is well furnished and had everything we need. The cottage is clean and well maintained. There is a playground and a paddleboat provided for the pond at the back of the cottage. BBQ facilities are available, perfect for a short weekend getaway with the family.
Kids young and old really enjoy the playground, pedal boats for the private pond area and the mile long nature trail on the 25 acres.
The motel rooms do get lots of sunlight as the back windows open up to a large open field and back porch area with chairs or a picnic table.
This is a wonderful budget friendly alternative to an Acadia hotel.
Exceptional. We loved the privacy of the cabins. Everything was clean and it was super quiet all day and at night as well. A very relaxed and family friendly environment. We can’t wait to go back.
What guests love about the Eden Village Motel & Cottages and why you should book:
- Great value, in peaceful family friendly setting
- Fully stocked cottages with kitchenettes, coffee makers, fridges, and utensils, pots etc.
- Free parking, WIFI and on-site barbeque facilities & picnic tables
- Pet / dog friendly units
- Motel rooms sleep 2 – 4 people, and Cottages sleep 4 to 6 people.
8. Bar Harbor Motel – Bar Harbor Gem
⭐️ RATING: 9.1 / 10 Stars | 📍 LOCATION: 100 Eden St. | 🏨 Book Bar Harbor Motel
This delightful Bar Harbor Motel is a surprising gem in the sea of Bar Harbor Hotels. Not your typical motel vibe, it is a series of single story 4-plex dwellings nestled among trees and gardens, backing right onto Acadia National Park.
Best place to access the park right from the hiking and biking trails on the property. Or drive 1.6 miles to Acadia’s main entrance. It’s also only a 5 minute drive or short walk to Bar Harbor’s downtown area. You get that close, but not too close feeling.
What a fantastic place that helped make our stay in Bar Harbor even more spectacular. Room was big and so comfortable. Grounds are spacious with a wonderful playground in the center and ample parking. Staff were friendly, supportive. Breakfast options were plenty!
The whole family will love their outdoor games & organized activities, seasonal heated pool, BBQ grills, picnic tables and lawn chairs.
Check out the steak restaurant next door!
What guests love about the Bar Harbor Motel and why you should book:
- Family friendly activities each day, a pool, games, & large open space area kids love
- Delicious continental breakfast and coffee / tea available through out the day
- Direct trail access & biking trails to Acadia
- Free parking in front of rooms & free wi-fi
- 4 rooms are Accessible
- Rooms sleep 2 to 6 people & the 2-Bedroom family units sleep up to 6 people
9. Bar Harbor Cottages & Suites – Sweet Family Friendly Cottages
⭐️ RATING: 8.9 / 10 Stars | 📍 LOCATION: 144 Old Bar Harbor Rd | 🏨 Book Bar Harbor Cottages
If you are looking for places to stay in Bar Harbor, Maine you can’t go wrong with the cozy and comfortable Bar Harbor Cottages & Suites.
Enjoy relaxing in your adorable cottage with cute decorations, and historical charm.
Superb. Very cute and comfortable. Wonderful value for money, considering the location. Very friendly staff!
Close to everything, these vacation rentals are just a 10 minute drive away from Acadia National Park and 15 minutes to the center of town. Far enough from Route 3 to avoid the busy traffic.
What guests love about the Bar Harbor Cottages & Suites and why you should book:
- Family owned, with exceptional, friendly staff and genuine Maine hospitality
- 12 sweet renovated cottages with all the kitchen necessities
- Screened porch, a peaceful place to relax with a morning cup of coffee after a busy day
- Picnic tables, games, firewood, grills and ice available
10. Summer Salt Cottage – Delightful Bar Harbor Home
⭐️ RATING: 5 / 5 Stars | 📍 LOCATION: Downtown | 🏨 Book Summer Salt Cottage
Traveling with family or a few friends?
Summer Salt Cottage is a delightful place to stay in a quiet residential area, just minutes from all the action of downtown Bar Harbor.
When you are looking for a little more space this 3 bedroom recently renovated haven is perfect to sleep up to 6 comfortably.
This vacation rental is impeccably clean, beautifully decorated with coastal decor, and filled with everything you need to feel at home for a day, weekend or longer.
It was absolutely a perfect home away from home. Everything was very clean and well appointed. We loved being within walking distance to restaurants and shops in downtown Bar Harbor. Helpful and very gracious host. From the thoughtful welcoming gifts to the cottage. We are looking forward to coming back
Park your car, and take the shuttle into the park, or enjoy the short meander to town for restaurants, boat tours, shops and more.
With laundry, a fully stocked kitchen (even lobster pots), and some favorite Maine recipes, you’ll be well set for your Maine vacation.
Kids will love running around the large fenced in back yard, while the adults sip their coffee on the back deck.
What guests love about the Summer Salt Cottage and why you should book:
- Well equipped kitchen for baking, cooking & lobster boils
- Easy, quick walk to the grocery store, town and Shore Path
- A/C in each bedroom, games, books, internet, 2 TVs
- There is a park on the corner for the kids
Final Thoughts on Best Bar Harbor Hotels
Our top pick for your stay is Inn On Mount Desert, for its short, walkable distance to downtown, the shore path & only 5 min drive to Acadia. Plus the much talked about delicious free breakfast.
Almost 900 guests have given it on average 9.3 / 10 in their reviews. Making it one of the top places to stay Bar Harbor, Maine for families, couples, or other adventures.
If you need more ideas, or if the top choices are booked because it’s busy season, try some of these other Bar Harbor Hotels and accommodations:
- Atlantic Eyrie Lodge – Makes our list of the top pet friendly Bar Harbor Hotels
- Acadia Inn
- Bar Harbor Villager Motel
- Chiltern Inn
- Bluenose Inn
- Best Western Acadia Park Inn
- Sand Bar Cottage Inn
- Little Fig Hotel
I hope this helps you find the best hotel for your Bar Harbor vacation and trip to Acadia National Park.