Road trips are a great way to spend time with family or friends, see new places, and take in the great outdoors. They also provide plenty of opportunity for funny and memorable quotes. Whether you’re packing up your car for a trip this weekend or just reminiscing on times gone by, we’ve rounded up the 100 best road trip quotes – some funny, some deep – all perfect for sharing with those you love. In preparation for your next long drive!
What Is A Road Trip Quote ?
A road trip quote is a short, catchy phrase that captures the feeling of a journey or adventure. It’s fun to come up with your own and share them with friends on social media sites like Instagram.
Quotes about journeys and traveling can be both whimsical and profound, making them the perfect thing to ponder as you prep for your next adventure and then hit the open road. Below you’ll fund some of our favorite quotes about road trips and travel to get you inspired for your next journey!
Why Are Road Trip Quotes So Popular ?
Road trip quotes are popular because they evoke a sense of nostalgia for the open road. They also serve as little reminders to appreciate the journey, not just the destination.
40 Road Trip Quotes – Quirky, Funny, Deep
What is it about jumping into your car and hitting the open road that can invoke feelings of excitement, joy and freedom? Maybe it’s the endless possibilities for gorgeous views, adventures, and the company of friends and family. Maybe it’s the chance to let the winds blow you where they may, taking the next fork in the road, getting lost and found. Maybe it’s the wind blowing through your hair, the snack stops along the way, and a new place to lay your head each night or three.
In honor of all that is the open road, here are the best road trip quotes and captions about the road and journeys. We hope they inspire your next vacation, or epic road trip across the country.
Short Road Trip Quotes
Heading down the open road can be liberating. It can help you, your family and friends leave worries behind and focus on the short or long journey ahead. Here are a few inspiring short road trip quotes to get you in the spirit:
1. “Life is a journey, not a destination“
– often attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson
2. “Not all those who wander are lost.”
-J.R.R. Tolkien, in Fellowship of the Ring
3. “All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road.”
– Jack Kerouac, in On the Road
4. “We do not take a trip, a trip takes us.”
– John Steinbeck
5. “Roads were made for journeys, not destinations.”
6.“There’s always a way if you’re not in a hurry.”
– Paul Theroux
7. “If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
– Lewis Carroll, a shortened version of an exchange between Alice & the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland
8. “Two roads diverged in a wood and I … I took the one less traveled by.”
– Robert Frost
9. “I take to the open road, healthy, free, the world before me.”
– Walt Whitman, ‘Song Of The Open Road’.
10. “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
– Susan Sontag
11. ” Life is a Highway, I want to ride it all night long.”
– Tom Cochrane
12. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.”
– Helen Keller.
13. “The journey is my home.“
– Muriel Rukeyser
14. “Still, round the corner, there may wait, a new road or a secret gate.”
– J. R. R. Tolkien
You may also like 150 Fun Questions for a Road Trip. Avoid boredom & awkward silences
Family Road Trip Quotes
We love a good family road trip, to a National Park, or a day trip down the highway. Family road trips are measured in mile markers, conversations, new sites, endless snacks, and the occasional sibling fight or two. Here are a few family road trip quotes to inspire your next road trip adventure and celebrate the wild stuff that happens in this wonderful world of ours:
1. May your adventures bring you closer together, even as they take you far away from home.
— Trenton Lee Stewart
2. “Traveling with children isn’t going on a vacation. It’s more like entering into a war zone and your hostages are the kids.”
– Erma Bombeck
3. “In 1903 the Wright brothers invented airplanes because in 1902 they took a road trip across the country with their family.”
– Bill Engvall.
4. “A road trip is a way for the whole family to spend time together and annoy each other in interesting and new places.”
– Tom Lichtenheld
5. “As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was going to happen.”
– A. A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh
6. “Traveling with young children is the perfect time to discover that your children are people.”
– Pico Lyer
7. There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million.
– Walt Streightiff
8. “Family trips are the perfect time to create memories that your kids will someday try to erase.”
– Dave Barry
9. And that’s the wonderful thing about family travel. It provides you with experiences that will remain locked forever in the scar tissue of your mind
– Dave Berry
10. “The family that travels together, stays together.”
11. “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.”
– Dr Seuss
12. Parent’s don’t really go on holidays. They just look after their kids in a different country for a while.”
13. “There are no perfect parents and there are no perfect children, but there are plenty of perfect moments along the way.”
– Dave Willis
14. “Every day we make deposits in the memory banks of our children.”
15. “Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.”
– Anthony Bourdain
Looking for family friendly road trip destinations? Take a look at:
Funny Road Trip Quotes & Captions
Taking the scenic route in good company can lead you on daring adventures, quiet moments or disasterous but funny after the fact events. Often in the same trip. Here is a list of our favourite funny road trip quotes and funny road trip captions:
1. “Well, we’re not in the middle of nowhere, but we can see it from here.”
– ‘Thelma & Louise’.
2. “I don’t know where I’m going from here but I promise it won’t be boring.”
– David Bowie
3. “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine, it’s lethal.”
– Paulo Coelho
4. “Road trips require a couple of things: A well-balanced diet of caffeine, salt and sugar and excellent selection of tunes—oh, and directions.”
– Jenn McKinlay, Books Can Be Deceiving
5. “Get your motor runnin’, Head out on the highway, Lookin’ for adventure…”
– Steppenwolf, ‘Born To Be Wild‘.
6. ” I have found out that there ain’t a no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.“
– Mark Twain
7. “Buckle up. It’s going to be a bumpy ride.”
8. “My life is a constant quest to find the best parking spot.
9. “It’s not the size of your gas tank that matters, it’s how much is in there when you need it.”
10. “I’m not lost. I know exactly where I am.”
– Confused driver
11. “A tourist is a fellow who drives thousands of miles so he can be photographed standing in front of his car.”
– Émile Genest.
12. “Driving is boring,” Rabbit pontificates, “but it’s what we do. Most of American life is driving somewhere and then driving back wondering why the hell you went.”
– John Updike
13. “Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways? Just to be silly!“
– George Carlin
14. “Sometimes all you need is a great friend and a tank of gas.”
– Thelma and Louise
15. “Road Trips: Because they’re cheaper than therapy.”
16. “Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”
– George Carlin
17. “When traveling with someone, take large doses of patience and tolerance with your morning coffee.”
– Helen Hayes
18. “Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason!”
– Jerry Seinfeld
19. “Kilometers are shorter than miles. Save fuel, take your next trip in Kilometers.”
– George Carlin
20. “It doesn’t matter how old you get, buying snacks for a road trip should always look like an unsupervised 9 year old was given $100.”
Inspirational Road Trip Quotes
The open road can provide inspiration to find yourself, contemplate life in beautiful sunsets, mountain ranges and inspire epic road trip books like “On the Road” by Jack Kerouac.
1. “I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.”
2. ” A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike.
3. “I will not follow where the path may lead, but I will go where there is no path, and I will leave a trail.“
-Muriel Strode, from the poem “Wind-Wafted Wild Flowers”
4. Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.
-Ibn Battuta, from The Travels of Ibn Battutah
5. “Because the greatest part of a road trip isn’t arriving at your destination. It’s all the wild stuff that happens along the way.”
– Emma Chase, from Tamed
6. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.”
– Neale Donald Walsch, from Conversations with God
7. “I love road trips. You get into this Zen rhythm; throw the sense of time out the window.”
– Miriam Toews
8. “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey”
– Babs Hoffman
9. All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”
10. “Sometimes the most scenic roads in life are the detours you didn’t mean to take.”
– Angela N. Blount.
11. “A bend in the road is not the end of the road… unless you fail to make the turn.”
– Helen Keller
12. “Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.”
– Zig Ziglar
13. “If you make the mistake of looking back too much, you aren’t focused enough on the road in front of you.”
– Brad Paisley
14. “You can’t find the right roads when the streets are paved.”
15. “Look on every exit as being an entrance somewhere else.”
– Tom Stoppard
16. “I wonder why it is that when I plan a route too carefully, it goes to pieces, whereas if I blunder along in blissful ignorance aimed in a fancied direction I get through with no trouble.”
– John Steinbeck
Long Drive Captions
Sometimes the best way to see a place is on a long road trip. Whether you’re taking a road trip to your favorite vacation spot or planning travelling across country in an RV, here are our top quotes for long drive captions:
1. “Map out your future, but do it in pencil. The road ahead is as long as you make it. Make it worth the trip.”
– Jon Bon Jovi
2. “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.”
– Lao Tzu
3. “It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
– J.R.R Tolkien
4. “Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road.”
– Jack Kerouac.
5. “When you come to a fork in the road; take it.”
– Yogi Berra
6. “No road is long with good company.”
– Turkish Proverb
7. “The freedom of the open road is seductive, serendipitous and absolutely liberating”
– Aaron Lauritsen
8. “There is nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars.”
– Jack Kerouac
9. “Road trips aren’t measured by mile markers, but by moments.”
10. “No one you have been and no place you have gone ever leaves you. The new parts of you simply jump in the car and go along for the rest of the ride. The success of your journey and your destination all depends on who’s driving.”
11. “There is something about the momentum of travel that makes you want to just keep moving, to never stop.”
– Bill Bryson
12. “On the road again, Goin’ places that I’ve never been, Seein’ things that I may never see again, And I can’t wait to get on the road again.”
– Willie Nelson
Grab some Road Trip tips for easier, more budget friendly vacations:
Road Trip Quotes With Love & Couple Travel Quotes
The open road is a place to start fresh, expand your horizons and find an adventure. Road tripping with your honey can make a memorable journey. Solo adventures can be freeing and invite introspection and self love. Both can lead you on beautiful paths of discovery. Here are our top road trip quotes with love and about love on the open road:
1. “A road trip is always better with someone you love.”
2. A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.”
– John Steinbeck
3. “I love you more than a car can hold. I love you more than the miles between us.”
4. “Actually, the best gift you could have given her was a lifetime of adventures.”
– Lewis Carroll
5. “And the purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”
– Eleanor Roosevelt
6. “I can speak to my soul only when the two of us are off exploring deserts or cities or mountains or roads.”
– Paulo Coelho
7. “If you want to go fast go alone. If you want to go far, go together.”
– African Proverb
8. “Traveling in the company of those we love is home in motion.”
– Leigh Hunt
9. “Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes in the middle of nowhere you find yourself.”
Road Trip Quotes With Friends
What could be better when seeking new adventures and making travel memories than with friends. A journey is better when you have someone to share it with. Plus it provides opportunities to grow closer, and make your friendship stringer.
Here are a few of the best travel quotes with friends.
1. “A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.”
– Tim Cahill
2. “Happiness [is] only real when shared.”
– Christopher McCandles
3. “Some roads aren’t meant to be travelled alone.”
– Chinese Proverb
4. Life was meant for great adventures and close friends
5. In life, it’s not where you go – it’s who you travel with.”
– Charles M. Schulz
6. “We are all travelers in the wilderness of the world and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.”
– Robert Louis Stevenson.
7. “Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.”
– Anais Nin
8. “One of the great things about travel is that you find out how many good, kind people there are.”
9. “Good company in a journey makes the way seem shorter.”
– Izaak Walton
10. “We all start as strangers.”
11. “Just grab a friend and take a ride, together upon the open road.”
– The Goofy Movie
If you love road trips, check out our road trip travel tips, and destinations:
- Useful, fun, and practical gifts for RV Lovers
- 4 Day complete family friendly itinerary in Acadia National Park
- Detailed Zion National Park Guide on where to stay, not to miss activities, and fun itineraries
- Plan your next trip to Niagara Falls, with our How to Plan a Trip to Niagara Falls guide.