If you are a traveler, you need anti theft everything. Since backpacks are one of the comfiest and easiest accessories to travel with, finding the best anti theft travel backpack is a must. Even though this may never happen to you, you never want to worry about your items getting stolen. Don’t let a thief spoil your trip.
To help you out, we’ve put together a comprehensive guide on what to look for, as well as a list of the best anti theft travel backpacks you can find.
Disclosure: Please note that this post contains affiliate links. If you click one of the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you! See full disclosure and disclaimer policy here
What is an Anti-Theft Backpack?
An Anti-theft Backpack is specifically designed with features that deter thieves from being able to access your belongings, while you travel close or far from home. Each bag has unique security features such as slash-proof fabric, heavy duty, lockable zippers, and hidden pockets. These help reduce the risk of thieves stealing your belongings.
Whether you are travelling by air or train, strolling through an Asian market, or riding a bus to school, you want to be sure your valuables are safe.
3 Reasons Why You Need an Anti Theft Backpack When Traveling
- Safety: When you are traveling, safety should be your primary concern. Bag slashing happens frequently in popular European and South East Asian tourist spots. Having a travel safe backpack, with wire mesh embedded in the fabric, provides an added barrier against thieves. Whether you are traveling by yourself or with a group, you can never really be too safe.
- Pickpocketing: Pickpocketing happens quite often around the world. Regardless of if you are traveling to a different state or even a different country, this is a risk. Having a good anti theft backpack with locking features, and hidden pockets, can quickly alleviate this problem.
- Peace of Mind: When you feel safe, you will be able to enjoy your trip more. Instead of having to worry about keeping all of your items secure, you’ll be able to focus on the trip itself!
Best Anti-Theft Backpack for Travel (2021)
If you don’t have time to read all of the reviews below, look no further. This is our top recommendation for the best overall anti-theft backpack for travel.
Best Combo of Features & Price:
- Great value
- Laptop sleeve up to 15″
- 4 Different colour options
- All the latest Anti-theft features
- Excellent size, style, functionality and versatility
- Modern look; perfect for commuting, travelling, school
What to Look for in an Anti Theft Travel Backpack
When searching for the best theft proof backpack, there are a few things you should be looking for.
Although you may not find your perfect backpack with all of these features, it is important that it has the majority of them.
Buying your backpack from a reputable company known for quality anti-theft products, like PacSafe, Travelon, Oscaurte will also ensure you are getting a good value for your money.
Lockable Zippers and Locking Features
Although you want to easily be able to get into your backpack, you don’t want other people to be able to. So, you’ll want an anti theft bag that has lockable zippers.
Not only do you want to look for lockable zippers, you can also find anti theft backpacks with lockable cables. These come in handy when you are taking pictures, in a restaurant, or even just waiting while your partner, friend, shops.
A lockable cable allows you to lock your bag to a chair, rail, or table so that it can’t be easily lifted.
Locks will automatically deter anyone who could potentially be eyeing you. Trying to get into a bag with multiple locks becomes too much work with possibly little payoff.
Slash proof material
Slash proof bags are made with steel mesh embedded in the material, which prevents the bag from being cut into or slashed open.
You obviously don’t want anyone to be able to slash through your bag for multiple reasons. Primarily, you don’t want to have anything fall out or get stolen from you.
Therefore, make sure you are looking for anti theft backpacks that are made with slash proof material.
Being able to hide your most valuable possessions (wallets, passports, phones, and keys) is a great way to keep your items safe.
When looking for the best backpack with hidden compartments, check everywhere. Although you don’t want them to be easily found, you do want to inspect the bag carefully to make sure you know where these hidden pockets are.
Having hidden compartments can keep your items from being stolen even if you accidentally leave your bag somewhere.
Last but not least, you want your anti theft travel backpack to have RFID protection.
RFID blocking keeps your items safe from electronic scammers.
Having RFID protection will keep your personal information (credit and debit cards, passports, and licenses) safe even while in your backpack.
Although this is not the only feature to look for in a secure travel backpack, it is one of the most important.
This tip isn’t specifically for deterring thieves, but having a water resistant travel backpack will definitely come in handy.
If you have a backpack made with water restaurant material, you don’t have to worry about any items getting ruined when you get stuck in a random downpour in the middle of the day.
Make sure you check the difference between waterproof and water resistant. Some bags claim to be waterproof, but are truly water resistant. Depending on your wants and needs, this is important to know prior to purchasing your travel backpack.
9 of the Best Anti-Theft Backpacks for Travel
Along with the growth of the travel industry, so has the demand for innovative and stylish secure travel backpack options.
Luckily we now have anti theft bag options that take into account everything from our reliance on technology (hello padded laptop sleeves and USB ports), to carry on size requirements, and the latest in anti-theft fabrics, zippers, locks and more.
With so many options to choose from, it can be hard to figure out which one suits your budget and travel style. Not to worry, we are going to look at 9 of the best anti theft travel backpacks out there today, that will help keep all of your belongings safe while you enjoy your trip.
Whether it’s for work, school, pleasure, or something in between, we’ve sussed out the top brands, with the best features, to meet your travel needs and budget.
Check out the pros, cons and security features for each bag, to help you find the best backpack for all your adventures. Here is a summary list of the 9 theft proof backpacks we will be reviewing below. These are perfect for:
- Best Overall: Pacsafe Metrosafe LS450 Anti-Theft Laptop Backpack – 25L
- Carry-On Travel: Pacsafe Venturesafe EXP 45 Anti-Theft Backpack – 45L
- Heavy-Duty Security: Loctate Flak Sak II Anti-Theft Drawstring Backpack – 13L
- Eco-Concious & Digital Travel: XD Design Bobby Hero XL Anti Theft Backpack w/ USB Charging Port – 21.5L
- Budget Concious Travellers: Hanke Anti Theft Carry-On Backpack – 18L to 28L
- Photographers: PacSafe Camsafe X25 Anti Theft Camera bag – 25L
- Student & Business Travellers: Oscaurt Anti-Theft Travel Laptop Backpack – 25L
- Day Pack or Personal Item for Plane: Neatpak Canvas Anti Theft Sling Bag
- Day Pack or Day Hike: Travelon Anti Theft Active Day Pack – 16L
Top Choice: Best Overall Anti Theft Travel Backpack
This classically designed Pacsafe anti theft laptop backpack, comes with a variety of safety features, ( RFID protection, cut proof materials, secured zippers, and turn locks), 3 locking exterior pockets, and a padded laptop sleeve. Perfect for exploring far away cities, or favourite local gems.
We find the combination of size and safety features, plus the light and durable fabric, and a reasonable price, with a 5 year warranty to boot, make this our top choice for best overall Anti Theft Backpack.
- 2 internal zippered pockets, one with RFID protection
- Lockable zippers and security clip
- Cut resistant straps and material
- Anchor straps to secure on a fixed object
- Fits up to 15” laptop in padded internal sleeve
- Water bottle pockets
- Water Resistant
- 5 year warranty
- Strap length may be too long for shorter people (Max-Min length 92-68 cm / 36.2-26.8 in)
- Small RFID pocket only
Weight: 1 lb 14 oz / 0.84 kg
Dimensions: (H x W x D):18.9 x 11.8 x 6.7 in / 48 x 30 x 17 cm
Perfect for: Carry-On Travel
This Pacsafe anti theft backpack is slashproof and comes with multiple locking capabilities. Including steel anchor cable locks you can put around a fixed object, like a chair at a restaurant, to protect your bag.
This is a bit of a larger (and heavier) bag at 45L. But, it is perfect for travelers who need to keep all of their belongings on them, while still being able to function safely.
This anti theft bag is ideal for carry-on travel, and fits most international carry-on requirements. This pack has a roomier main compartment which opens out suitcase style, a padded sleeve for up to a 15” laptop and an external compartment with 2 interior zipped pockets.
It can also be doubled as a handheld, briefcase style bag, as there is a handle on the side.
Available in three colors, this popular travel backpack also comes with a 5-year warranty.
Whether you are hiking (it has an ergonomic internal frame and padded hip belt), backpacking, or going for a weekend get-away, this Pacsafe Venturesafe EXP 45 Anti-Theft Backpack will work well for your needs.
- Interlocking zipper pulls
- Puncture resistant zippers
- Anti theft anchor cable locks
- Carry-On friendly
- Padded sleeve fits up to 15” laptop
- Can be used as a duffel bag
- Adjustable padded Hip and Sternum belts
- External and internal compression straps
- 5 year warranty
- Not water resistant
- No RFID protection
- Larger & Heavier
Weight: 3 lb 13 oz / 1.73 kg
Dimensions: (H x W x D): 21.7 x 13.8 x 8.7 in / 55 x 35 x 22 cm
Perfect For: Travel where you need an Ultimate Portable Safe
Said to be the world’s toughest theft-resistant drawstring backpack, the Loctate Flak Sak II has many different safety features.
Since it is a drawstring bag, it can be used even when leaving your bag unattended. (Although, this is not recommended to do when you are in an area out of your comfort zone.)
It has military grade, bullet-resistant vests making it virtually slashproof. There is also a combination lock to ensure this bag cannot be broken into.
Along with this backpack being on the smaller side, the rope straps make it comfortable to wear.
I love that one of the quotes on amazon states “It’s the brink’s armored truck of backpacks.” So if you are looking for an extra secure bag, you can leave secured for a day at the beach, back at your hotel, or on the road, the Loctate Flak Sak II Anti-Theft Drawstring Backpack fits the bill.
- Virtually slash proof bag
- Slash resistant & reflective ropes
- Steel reinforced locking strap
- Brass combination lock
- 2 internal pockets
- Waterproof RFID protected internal pocket
- Sternum Strap
- Water resistant
- Heavier for its size – due to tough bullet-resistant fabric
- Rope straps may not be comfortable for some
- Only fits up to 13″ MacBook Pro
Weight: 2lbs / 0.9kg with lock
Dimensions: 18″ x 14″
Perfect for: Eco-Concious & Digital Travellers
Frequently used as a carry-on bag, this backpack has a no access front, concealed zippers, and is cut resistant, with a more urban design.
The XD Design Bobby Hero XL anti theft backpack also has an external USB port to charge all your devices while traveling.
Committed to making eco-friendly products, their bags are made with recycled materials.
Coming in at 21.5 L in capacity, with a separate compartment fitting a 17” laptop, this is an ideal secure backpack for someone who works while travelling, or anyone who wants a more sleek, no nonsense design.
- No access front
- Hidden pockets
- Hidden zippers
- USB port – regular & Type C connections
- Fits a 17” Laptop (Laptop compartment)
- Fits a 12.9” Tablet (Tablet compartment)
- Water repellant
- 2 Year guarantee
- No RFID protection
- No side pockets
Weight: 2.4 lb / 1.1kg
Dimensions: (H x W x D) 19.3 x 12.8 x 6.5 in / 49 x 32.5 x 16.5cm
Perfect for: Budget Conscious Travellers
As one of “Amazon’s choices” for anti theft travel bags, this backpack is water-resistant, tear-resistant, and has lockable zipper pulls.
Although it doesn’t have a ton of safety features, it is RFID protected. What it does excel at is its reasonable price, and 3 in 1 features.
This safe backpack can increase its size from 18L to 28L for extra room, and contains dry and wet pockets, to keep your main compartment items separated from your wet items. Brilliant.
The computer compartment holds up to a 17” laptop.
The Hanke Anti Theft Carry-On Backpack also has a lay flat design to help get you through airport security more easily.
If you are looking for a moderately protected anti theft bag as a business traveler, student, or even just a travel enthusiast, this bag just might be perfect for you.
- Budget Friendly
- RFID protected
- Lockable zippers
- Padded straps
- Laptop compartment fits up to 17” laptop
- Drawstring pouch for water bottle (inside)
- Not slashproof
- No side pockets / no outside water bottle pockets
Capacity: 18L to 28L
Weight: 2.49 lbs/1.1kg
Dimensions: (H x W x D) 18.4 x 12.2 x 7.8in / 46.7 x 30.9 x 19.8cm
Perfect for: Photographers
If you are a photographer, you need to check out this backpack.
The PacSafe Camsafe X25 Anti Theft Camera bag ensures the safety of your camera and its accessories, while also having RFID protection, slash proof material, and keeping up there on the stylish scale.
It’s roomy enough for a camera or two, a few lenses, a change of clothes, or a jacket and of course a laptop.
Made with a built in raincover, you’ll also have peace of mind knowing your camera gear is protected from the elements, as well as from thieves.
- RFID protection
- Slash proof material and straps
- Security clips, and lockable zippers
- Laptop compartment – fits 15” laptop
- Side access camera insert
- Memory card pocket
- Padded camera compartments
- Water bottle pocket
- Hydropack compatible,
- Adjustable padded hip and sternum belt
- No luggage pass through
- No specific tripod carrier (Can use the top strap for this purpose though)
Weight: 2.9lb / 1.32 kg
Dimensions: (H x W x D) 19.7 x 12.2 x 9.5 in / 50 x 31 x 24 cm
Perfect for: Student and Business Travellers
Touted as the “business” backpack, the Oscaurt Anti-Theft Travel Laptop Backpack is a good choice for anyone who likes to carry their laptop /ipad / tablet and charge their devices on the go.
Available in five different colors, this stylish backpack is water and cut resistant, with two side pockets, hidden pockets, reflective straps, and even a USB charging port.
As this bag’s zipper is placed against the user’s back, and all the compartments are hidden, it makes this pack extraordinarily difficult for thieves to gain access. This is one of the best backpacks with hidden compartments out there.
Another bonus is it’s optimal weight distribution design, which allows for a pack that feels up to 25% lighter. I don’t know about you, but as I carry my packs all day I like anything that makes the load feel lighter.
- No access zipper
- USB port
- Laptop compartment – up to 15.6”
- Cut resistant
- Water resistant
- Hidden pockets
- Side pockets (fits a water bottle)
- Lay flat design
- Many small internal pockets
- Padded, adjustable shoulder straps
- Built in luggage Strap
- Stylish, Unisex design
- Not RFID protected
- Only water repellant
- No slashguard
- Small – limited space
- Rigid shape (Doesn’t compress)
Weight: 2.1lb / 0.95 kg
Dimensions: (H x W x D) 17 x 12.2 x 4.92in / 50 x 31 x 24 cm
Perfect for: A Day Bag or Personal Flight Item
What is an anti theft sling bag you ask? It is a versatile bag that can be worn like a crossbody purse or worn in the back like a backpack or in the front, to keep thieves from gaining access to your belongings. A sling bag is also sometimes called a messenger bag.
What makes this slingbag so great are the multiple internal compartments you can use to store everything you need for the day, or for a long flight overseas. And it comes in 3 colours.
Check out the pen sleeves, mesh zip pocket, credit card slots, & a key clip/hook. A little bit of everything.
Even though the Neatpak Canvas Anti Theft Sling Bag has RFID protection, it also has an easy access, built in pocket for your phone, along with a special hole for your headphones in the front strap.
- RFID protected pocket
- Water resistant
- Reflective straps
- Lockable zippers (with a luggage or cable lock – not included)
- Many hidden pockets
- Laptop compartment – up to 12” laptop, tablet, Ipad
- Water bottle holder
- Padded shoulder strap (can switch sides)
- Lifetime guarantee
- Not slash proof material
- Only fits up to a 12” device
- No waist strap
Weight: 0.85lb / 0. 39kg
Dimensions: 18.5 x 12.5 x 4 in / 47 x 32 x 10 cm.
Perfect For: A Day Pack or Day Hike
Travelon is synonymous with anti-theft bags and purses. In fact the Travelon Anti-theft Signature Slim Day Bag was my first anti-theft bag purchase, and now I am a convert. I’m never going back to regular bags for travel again.
The Travelon Anti Theft Active Day Pack is a lightweight, roomy, well organized, 16 L bag, with air mesh padded backing and straps for better airflow.
Their signature 5-point Anti-Theft security system includes; RFID protection, lock down straps, locking compartments and zipper pulls, and slash resistant body & straps.
This backpack is very versatile and can be carried as a backpack or handheld bag. It also comes in 3 colours.
- Slash Proof bag
- Slash proof straps
- Lockable zippers
- RFID protected
- Padded straps and chest clip
- Laptop compartment – fits 15.6” laptop
- Side mesh water bottle pockets
- key clip with LED light.
- Water resistant
- Great price point
- No luggage pass through
- Small capacity – truly a day pack
Weight: 1.74lb / 0.8 kg
Dimensions: 19.5 x 5.5 x12in / 49.5 x 14 x 30.5 cm
Anti Theft Travel Backpacks Concluded
Anti theft travel backpacks can help you focus on making memories and exploring, instead of your safety.
When traveling, even with a secure backpack, it is best to be more vigilant and not bring your most valuable possessions.
You will most likely need to have your phone, wallet, and even possibly your passport with you during your travel. (You can even get an anti theft wallet like this to take an extra precaution.)
But, try to leave other things like your laptop, camera, and tablets at home or in your hotel as often as you can.
Not only will this make your backpack lighter, it’ll decrease the chance of you losing items or anything getting stolen from you.
All in all, though, if you get one of the best anti theft backpacks previously listed, you’ll be in pretty good shape while traveling.
If you get one or have any other recommendations, tell me in the comments!
Do I need an anti theft travel backpack?
Not necessarily, but an anti theft travel backpack can help you feel safe and secure, and can help prevent theft.
Can you travel without an anti theft backpack?
Yes, you can travel without an anti theft bag. Personally, though, I recommend investing in an anti theft backpack to give you a more enjoyable and relaxing trip.
What makes a backpack anti theft?
Certain security features make backpacks anti theft. They include:
- Lockable zippers – Often these lock into a device where only you know the code
- Sturdy Zippers – These may be heavy duty zippers, or ones that are puncture resistant
- Slash-Proof Fabric – fabric embedded with special metal webbing that resists, or prevents tearing, punctures or slashing of the fabric
- Hidden Pockets – usually these are secret, zippered pockets to put your valuables in, such as a wallet or passport.
- RFID Blocking – Usually internal pockets or slots lined with material that prevents thieves from stealing your money electronically from credit cards.
Do anti theft bags work?
Yes, anti theft bags and security features like lockable zippers, slash resistant fabrics, hidden compartments and RFID protection discourage thieves, as they make you and your belongings a more difficult target for theft.
How do you protect your belongings and backpack from theft?
In addition to using an anti-theft bag, with security features, we also recommend you practice these safe travel tips, to reduce your risk of theft and harm
- Be vigilant while you travel, and keep an eye on your surroundings and in crowded situations
- Don’t leave your pack unattended
- Leave expensive jewelry, and technology at home. Don’t have anything worth stealing if possible
- Don’t be flashy with your money, jewellry, cameras, ipads, tablets etc.
- Keep your valuables in a money belt, or hidden in a secret compartment inside a daypack you keep on you at all times.
- Have a “public” wallet, with a small amount of cash you can use to pay for purchases that day, so you aren’t reaching into your money belt. Or in the unlikely event of a robbery, you can give it to a thief, instead of your main one.
Packed for Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.ca.